Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone Interested in a Group Driving School?

Old 11-29-2003, 04:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was talking to Don @ Panoz about driving schools while I was driving the new Superformance Coupe and we thought a group school might be fun. It might be a good way to start out the season.

They have 1 day, 3 day or 4 day schools, but I figure anything longer than one day would be tough to get a group of us free long enough to do.

The 1 day school, which although it isn't as in depth as the 3 or 4 day school, is still pretty comprehensive and they would let us use our cars for the last 20-30 minute lapping session to help us put in place some of the newfound skills. The last session is traditionally the longest and hardest fought session.

They will also let us use the shop afterward for a party. We would have to furnish the eats and drinks, but this would be good for wives and GFs or even just friends to come and see us in the last lapping sessions and then let us unwind and brag a little to an appreciative audience.

The one day school is for the dry line work only (unless it rains). I don't have all the literature yet, but if I think the morning is spent in the Audis working on vehicle dynamics, skid pad, threshold braking, heel/toe, and downshifting. There is one track session in the GTRA school cars before lunch and then 3 after lunch. As I said, one of those sessions could be in our own cars if we wanted it.

The 3 day school has a lot more seat time, more indepth work on dynamics as well as wet skid pad, dynamics and track time.

The 4 day session is the 3 day school with an added 8 hours of lapping on the 4th day.

The 3 day times available would be March 8-9-10
An undisclosed time in April (around the 17th)
May 12-13-14

The one day session would be March, 11, April ? or May 15.

This would also be the 4th day if you did the 4 day school.

The course would be run on the full Roval and they would add some complexity to it if we wanted. Complexity simply means more chicanes or gates on the Oval. I have run the Roval and after the novelty of running the banked portion wears off (about 2 laps) it is boring until you enter the infield again. Entry and exit to the infield can be quite challenging!

We would not be totally at the mercy of the elements as they have a heated trailer that they put on the track.

Once upon a time, a long time ago I took the 3 day Skip Barber Competition Course @ Sebring and it is amazing what you learn during that period. It is much more than even a group of DE events.

Of course as the old saying goes if you don't use it you lose it so you need to refresh yourself occasionally. Even the faster drivers (maybe even them the most) will gain or refine your skills.

I do not have the cost yet, but these type of events are much more expensive than track events so count on it being in the $800 range for the one day and $2500 range for the 3 day event. We will be getting a discount, but I don't know how much yet.

Is there enough interest to pursue it further?
Old 11-30-2003, 06:16 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking into the Skip Barber school at Laguna in May but may consider this as an alternative. The SB school is around $3,500 for a 3-Day.

I think the best way to try this is to announce a solid price and itenerary for a 1-day for 5-10 drivers and see who you can get together.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iwould be interested. Gerry
Old 11-30-2003, 10:04 AM

I will have some hard $$$ numbers Monday so I will post them then. I really just wanted to see if there was a chance others would be interested so we could get a discount.

JD, LJ and I were going to do some kind of school this spring. We were going to do a 3 or 4 day school, but if the majority can only do a one day we will do that instead. With Panoz you can do the 4 day school and still get to be part of the group the 4th day.

I really liked the idea of putting our own cars on the track while track lines and skills were fresh on our minds. I thought that might go a long ways towards helping us improve practically instead of just technically. The party room I thought was a nice touch as well. Panoz is a lot more reachable and flexible than SB or DD.

I can heartily recommend the SB school. I was bored the first day and thought I had wasted my $$, but all the little things that were creeping into my brain were put to use on days 2 & 3.

Open wheel is a blast! You get to see exactly what the tire is doing under braking and corner corrections which helps a lot. One problem tho is once you get back in your closed wheel car you don't have that feedback.

If I got no more than one thing out of the school it is not to be afraid to brake. I learned you can go from 155 to 40 and make a 90 degree corner in much less distance than you think is possible.
Old 11-30-2003, 07:31 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

I would love to do this if I can make it work
Old 11-30-2003, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested for 1 day even 3-4 day if it counted towards the SCCA road racing license requirements.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:17 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the 3 day counts towards SCCA license.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:44 AM

im interested, let me know about the $$$ ok
Old 12-01-2003, 12:28 PM

This post has been edited to include all the info on both 1 & 3 day sessions.

If we have 10 we would get a 10% discount, get an extra track session to run our own cars and have use of the party room for a couple of hours.

The 3 day school would be $2475 ($2750 normally) and you get the 4th lapping day in your own cars for free.

The 3 day course includes skid pad, vehicle dynamics, braking work, downshifting, heel & toe, working on lines, AUTOCROSS sessions, track lines, infield track time PLUS roval track times.

The 1 day school would be $788 ($875 normally) and you would get an extra track session in your own car.

The 1 day course includes skid pad, vehicle dynamics, a little braking work, downshifting, heel & toe. AUTOCROSS sessions, track lines, infield track time or Roval depending upon the day.

I can fax the info to you if you want. These prices are quite a bit cheaper than some of the other schools I have looked into. They also have the advantage of you not having to take out special insurance or being responsible for damage to the cars. They have the disadvantage of not being held at Road Atlanta or Laguna Seca, etc.

There are lead follow sessions and sessions with the instructor in the car with you.

We would use the Audi's and GTRAs for all the school work
Old 12-01-2003, 01:36 PM

nevermind im broke b/c of x mas

Quick Reply: Anyone Interested in a Group Driving School?