Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone interested in going to Ennis this friday 3/1?

Old 02-28-2002, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd, you plan on running your car? A guy that went with us a couple of years ago wasn't allowed to run his car b/c he had shorts.

I'm afraid my BFGs are going to slide all over the place during the launch, thus I'm guessing i'm going to have a bad 60ft time, thus putting a big affect on my et....
Old 02-28-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Well, unless you have the subcutaneous fat layer of a polar bear, I'd suggest dressing warm.
Old 03-01-2002, 06:55 AM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Your mission this evening, if you choose to accept it: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=49394
Old 03-01-2002, 07:18 AM

I saw that. Wow, that's a good time for the S2000. It's all about the launch. I've been to Ennis many times, but have never gone when the temperature is this chilly. I'm getting excited. Again, I hope my BFGs hook up well. Also, I hope it doesn't rain...
Old 03-01-2002, 08:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DeeGYM
[B]Todd, you plan on running your car?
Old 03-01-2002, 08:17 AM

Hi guys, since you are going to the track tonight I thought I would share some advice with you. I know that some of you have been before, but here's some of the things I've learned to help me run consistent 13.9-14.0's:

- obviously, take out your spare and tools/jack before you go

- consider taking out the passenger seat. it weighs 30 lbs, only 4 bolts. be careful not to let the rails scratch the plastic when taking it out. I've gone twice with it, twice without. I can't tell a difference, but it can't hurt, right?

- time your fuel based on the distance to the track, so you show up with 1 or 2 bars remaining only

- I tried adding 1 gallon of 104 octane "race gas" halfway through my runs. Doesn't make a damn difference

- most drag racers add rear tire pressure to help reduce traction for a better launch. this is not necessary at all on the s2000. in fact you may need to reduce rear tire pressure to help you get more grip (to maybe 28 or 30psi on a cold day)

- i have heard that increasing front tire pressure helps get slightly higher trap speed. My fronts were set to 38psi cold. haven't experimented enough to know for sure if it does help.

- very important! let your car cool down after your drive to the track. pop the hood and let it sit for about 30 min-1 hour before making any runs. ideal temps is when the oil is hot, but the metal parts are cool.

- between runs, if the wait is any longer than about 10 min, pop the hood, turn off the engine, and push your car. also to let it cool down.

- unless you plan on doing a burnout (don't do it unless you know exactly how to do it), go around the water box. any amount of water on the tires, even a few drops, will screw up your launch and possibly cause wheel hop.

- on your first run or 2, go from a roll (off-idle). this will give you a number that you will improve on for sure, and also give you a non-launched benchmark for trap speed and ET. it also calms the nerves a little. never mind what the spectators say.

- when you are launching, don't sit there after you've staged holding the rpms at 6500 or whatever, waiting for the lights to start going. if you are revving that high for >5 sec I think it is not good and could slow you down.

instead, I idle until the lights start to change, then rev it up. don't be in any rush to go on green, reaction time doesn't affect ET. just ignore the reaction time so that you'll get a calm nerve-free launch. Wait until you are confident that the rev is exactly where you want it, then dump the clutch. i've even had 3 second reaction times because i wanted to make sure i got a good launch.

- launch is important, but shifting and clutching is just as important. it will make or break your good times. very important, on the 1-2 and 2-3 shift, thumb points up. on the 3-4 shift, point your thumb down. powershifting this quickly, you don't want to go 3-2 instead of 3-4

- there probably won't be a clear indicator as to where the 1/4 mile marker is, and you don't want to let off too early. here's what I do, since i know the trap speed is usually 99-101mph, then I stay on the gas until I see 105mph on the speedo (since I couldn't have possibly trapped that high), then coast down and brake. it's a common mistake for people to let off the throttle too early.

- be scientific about the launch. experiment with different RPMs in 250RPM increments until you find the one that's right for you, then use that number every time. it's better to start high (7000?) and back down, then to start low and go up. too much wheel spin is easier on the drivetrain than bogging IMO.

GOOD LUCK!
Old 03-01-2002, 08:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Rasputin314
[B]Hi guys, since you are going to the track tonight I thought I would share some advice with you.
Old 03-01-2002, 10:35 AM

Looks like it has been canceled for tonight due to pending weather. It's the same thing next Friday the 8th of March with gates opening at 8p and racing from 9p-2a.

http://www.texasmotorplex.com/news1.php?news_id=62&
Old 03-01-2002, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by IvanS2KSY
[B]Looks like it has been canceled for tonight due to pending weather.