Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Anyone here have XM radio?

Old 06-28-2006, 01:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone here have XM radio?

Signed up for a 3 day trial and I am hooked, now I want it on my S. Anybody have it on their cars? Do I have to install that antenna or is there a way around it? I have a older model alpine unit so I am not too sure whats compatible with what.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SpeedxRacer,Jun 28 2006, 01:00 PM
Signed up for a 3 day trial and I am hooked, now I want it on my S. Anybody have it on their cars? Do I have to install that antenna or is there a way around it? I have a older model alpine unit so I am not too sure whats compatible with what.
You'll have to install the antenna somewhere on your dash most likely. It has to be line of sight. I've been looking into it for sometime now, I'll probably get it real soon.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:51 PM

There are multiple threads about people that are posting it in the hidden compartment or underneath the convert top tray... but I havn't installed mine yet so I won't say for sure...
Old 06-28-2006, 09:31 PM

I have it in the rental car this week, Im hooked. Will be going in both my personal cars soon.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I chose the top of the Dash. I figured that's the place where it's most likely to always get a good signal. The outside really is the best place for it, but I think even the smallest antennas are ugly. Additionally I think it's one less thing a punk could take off the car....

Old 06-29-2006, 06:32 AM

Putting it outside is one more way to tell theives that you have a stereo that may be worth stealing...

Originally Posted by rioyellows2k,Jun 29 2006, 12:42 AM
I chose the top of the Dash. I figured that's the place where it's most likely to always get a good signal. The outside really is the best place for it, but I think even the smallest antennas are ugly. Additionally I think it's one less thing a punk could take off the car....

That's pretty good, but you're not grounded to the vehicle chasis so you're probably getting a weaker signal than you should be. Do you have any drop out problems?

When my stereo was being replaced by the insurance company (guess what happened!) in another vehicle the installer told me the majority of his insurance claims now-a-days are cars that have/had sat radio. So he hid my ant for me inside the vehicle. It dropped out a bit more every now and then, but worth the peace of mind to me.

The less visible the better. Metal blocks the signal, thin plastic shouldn't, that's why putting it under the plastic convert tray shouldn't block the signal... and if you put it on metal it helps expand the ant capabilities (supposedly) so if you can get a clean mount under the tray that's attatched to the metal of the vehicle it should get better signal than the dash. Try placing it toward the front/center of the tray where you'll have no metal above it when the top is down (and people on the electronics forum said the metal bars don't affect their signal while the top is up).

Good luck.
-Doug
Old 06-29-2006, 06:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sirius or XM?

I have only listened to XM and love it but I haven't delved into it deep enough to see if one is better than the other.

In the beginning one was more expensive than the other and had more commercials but I understand that has changed.

Just bought another Miata for my son and it has a stock radio so I am guessing a new radio is in our near future so I might as well start boning up.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:55 AM

Who are you asking "Sirius or XM?"... I would guess, by the title, that Speed is talking about XM, Scott has XM (you can see it on the ant), I had XM before it was stolen and now have Sirius. Both have no commercials on the music stations, and that's all I listen to so... I do enjoy the music selection on Sirius, although XM may have changed in the last year and a half.

It's kinda hard to get a good feel for the programing on each since you have to listen to it for a few hours/day to get a good feel for if they consistently play music tracks you like.

Both offer online 3-day trials (music only I think, no talk stations):
XM
Sirius
Old 06-29-2006, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didnt know reception was a slight problem with the inside antennae, I thought you could basically put the unit anywhere and it would pick it up. Where did you get yours installed at Scott? I plan on heading to best buy or somthing to just buy the unit and install it myself.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Doug0716,Jun 29 2006, 08:55 AM
Who are you asking "Sirius or XM?"...
Yes, I was basically asking that since no one was locked into a system which would be better Sirius or XM.

It's just as easy to buy a Siruis unit as an XM.

The only one I've listened to has been XM and it sure makes a plane flight shorter.

Quick Reply: Anyone here have XM radio?