Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Alignment

Old 09-20-2002, 10:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I went with the AVS intermediate 245/45 Rear and 225/50 Front.

The car feels like it has more grip.

Now that I am out of spec from the OEM size tires, do I need to have a new alignment done now?

If so, I would like some alignment spec advice:
What Caster, Camber, and Toe #'s would i use?
I wouldn't mind advice from some senior car club member that have tested different specs on there own cars with these size tires.

thanks,
Jeremy
Old 09-20-2002, 12:35 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Does the car have too much oversteer with the 225 / 245 combo? If it is nuetral, leave it the way it is. I can't see any other reason to touch it. I regret the day that I had my 1st alignment done. Ever since that 1st unnecessary alignment I did (to improve handling), I haven't been able to get an alignment that would hold for more than a few weeks.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:08 PM

it still feels nuetral and the steering wheel as an automatic pull to the center after straightening up, which it has always done this. the car feels better now that the suspension has settled for the last few hours.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Take it from me ... leave the factory alignment alone if it isn't causing you any problems! If your concerned about it, take it in for an alignment CHECK, and tell them not to touch any bolts, unless it is SIGNIFICANTLY out of spec.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the intermediates aren't bad tires at all, but the reason you experience a bit more grip is because.. well, most likely your OEM S02's were well worn and getting hard.

check out alignment specs here: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=44573 I think I've posted there with what works for me and a few of the austin gang down here. =)
Old 09-20-2002, 01:41 PM

I read your alignment post last night, when I was looking for info on the subject. How do you like it? I obviously went with the Intermediates cause of cost.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dig the alignement, and I think you'll want to go with a street-aggressive alignement to get some extra grip from the tires.

I'd definately go with the tires if they still had them - for cost savings alone! But also, just so you know, the rear will be a little 'twitchy' - and will bobble back and forth because of the sidewall thickness in the intermediates.
Old 09-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Jeremy,

If you decide that you want to change your alignment, make sure that you have an understanding about how those changes are going to effect your handling with YOUR driving style. I experimented with more negative camber in the front and rear, and it didn't work well for me. It might have been great for others, just not for me. I found that having more camber increased my maximum cruising speed through constant radius corners, but gave me more power oversteer. Since I have so much trouble with power oversteer already, I went back to OEM specs, and it works much better for me.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:34 PM

I have the same problem with power oversteer, so unless I install the Eibach progressive springs, I will leave it stock for now. I am thinking about going to koni yellow, GC perches and progressive springs. When I do I will need some really good advice on alignment, cause everything will be different.

Good advice has been given. I will leave the car alone for now and have a spec check.
Old 09-20-2002, 02:38 PM

Getting the specs checked is probably the best idea if you are comfortable with the stock alignment. Unless you have alot of money to keep taking to the alignment shop for constant adjustments, stock alignment should be good enough.

Quick Reply: Alignment