Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

Advice

Old 05-16-2002, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice

This is my first time to this foeum and i need some advice. Sould I buy a new S, and just leave it stock. Or should I go with a silver/red 2001 for just over 29k. I would have about 6k or so to spend on mods. Is the glass rear window and leather console worth it? Please give me advice!
Old 05-16-2002, 09:25 PM

I had an '01 (RIP) before I got my '02.

I say, "Go with the glass!"
Old 05-16-2002, 09:28 PM

rear glass, leather console, upgraded transmission and I think the rear end is an upgrade for '02. Tweeters in the door, upgraded sound system are also in the mix, which the sound system still needs work, top down 65mph, it sounds like crap, actually I have felt embarrassed, my civic has a better sound system. The glass and transmission are worth it. All others are cosmetic features. I just got mine 4-25-02.

My girlfriend had a Miata that was plastic back window, she babied this car and the plastic window looked like crap. Let the 00-01 owners take the loss on the plastic back window in the future.

I am keeping way from major modifications cause I don't want to mess with the warranties. I think the only thing that would mess with a warranty is the cold air intake, which if I have to, I can change back to stock if a major warranty issue came about and had to take it back to the dealer.

spend the extra 3k and some change and buy the '02. You can get the car at MSRP. Just go in to the dealership and don't act hungry to buy or excited when they want you to be. Take control. Go in with the I don't need to buy this car attitude and tell them that. Emotion is what they want to play on. I know, I am ex-car salesman, got in and out of the biz, wanted to be in finance and they tried to get me to sell, didn't want to.

Read about all the trial and errors that others have experienced, it is amazing what you can put together reading what other have done. I have huge list that I want to build my car up with. But I am going to wait. You could spend 12k in to this car and you have something that you can't buy off the shelf, that is what is amazing about the S2K. Almost an unlimited potential of building and adding to a car. Somebody keeps coming up with something else, brakes, braces, turbos, windscreens, radiators, super chargers, etc. it is too awesome.

Personally I am so fired up about the car that I would almost want to buy another one, and turn it in to a street machine and leave one completely stock. I have to convince my girlfriend that we need to sell the boat and Pathfinder.( )

THIS IS THE KIND OF CAR THAT NEEDS TO BE OWNED FROM MILE ONE.

That is my 2 cents and no change thanks.

Old 05-16-2002, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats a tough decision. I would probably get the 02 but not because of the glass or other upgrades. I wouldn't want to risk buying one thats been ragged on. However, the 6k in mods sure is tempting. Can u say supercharger?
Old 05-16-2002, 09:38 PM

The only mods I am going for, which will be here tomorrow(UPS) are lower rear tie bar, comptech strut tower brace(supercharger compatible) AEM CAI(cold air intake), Digrappa X-Brace on Group Buy 299.00 and stainless steel brakelines, 2 more weeks on the x-brace. Spoon high grade radiator hoses, cap, thermoswitch and thermostat are cooling upgrades that I think are mandatory for this car being in TX. All on order for tomorrow Bulletproofautomotive. I am going for increased stability and handling at first. Wheels and Tires are my next debate. I haven't read any real performance benefits out of 18" wheels and tires as of yet.

I'd hate to say it but I leased mine for 4 years. Mainly cause I get the write off being self-employed and by using the car for business; "maintenance on a lease is tax-deductible along with insurance, gas and the payment". So I am basically writing off the depreciation for the next 4 years and "maintained items". The other cooling thing about a lease is the finance company won't allow the residual to be more than 62% of MSRP. So I know that they anticipate the car to hold 62% of its value over the next 4 years.

And yes I can do whatever I want to with the car while I am leasing, If I don't buy it, then I uninstall and put original parts back on or I sell it "as-is" to someone else.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:41 PM

supercharger and v-afc, stage 3 clutch and fly wheel could all almost fit in that budget, then install cost for the clutch, flywheel and s/c. I hear that the s/c are a pretty easy do it yourself type install.
Old 05-16-2002, 09:48 PM

Kumar75150,

What size are you running on the rear with the 17" wheel a 245 or 265?

Have you noticed any handling differences?

Sorry to ruin the original thread, just curious.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CMiS2K
[B]Kumar75150,

What size are you running on the rear with the 17" wheel a 245 or 265?