Texas - North Texas S2000 Owners North Texas S2000 Owners Club
North Texas Club

5th/6th gear synchro TSB?

Old 04-13-2005, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up 5th/6th gear synchro TSB?

Because I have had a 5th gear problem I have been sensitive to the issue and I would have sworn that there was a TSB to correct this problem.

As I remember it shifting from 3rd to 6th creates a 6th gear problem due to the synchros not being spun up. On a related note there was an issue with 5th and 6th gears being hard to get into. I thought there was a TSB that fixed that but all I and the dealer could find was #02-046 which is just relubing the shifter.

My 5th gear problem was the tranny all of a sudden locking me out of 5th. On 2 occasions I went for a couple of days without a 5th gear. When I finally did get it to go in it would pop out upon the application of any power like a bad synchro. By holding the tranny into 5th gear for a long way it lubed (?) the synchros enough that it would stay in gear but it took a few more days for it to go back into 5th smoothly without being forced.

Anyone recall a TSB and can you point me in the right direction. I never could get the TSB library to work, all I got was a blank page and a search for TSBs has lead me all over the place.
Old 04-13-2005, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is this what you are looking for?

5th gear difficulty
Old 04-14-2005, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No that is the TSB on re lubing the shifter to make 5th gear and reverse easier to select.

What I am remembering is an actual synchro issue. I found out about the time I started having issues with 6th that comes from skipping from 3rd to 6th.

This is a habit that I carried over from my Miata. Never mind that the tranny in the Miata which is made by the same company doesn't have that same problem. I had made probably a thousand 3rd to 6th shifts on it with nary a hitch.

In researching that I found out about the synchro issue in 5th and 6th. At that time I wiped my brow and said thank goodness I don't have that problem only to have it reach up and bite me on the A$$ a few months later.

John Eagle relubed my shifter and it does shift a little easier but this definitely wasn't a shifter issue as the tranny would lock me out of 5th and later when it would finally allow me back in it would kick it out of gear when power was applied, just like a bad synchro would do.

I am thinking of taking this tranny out and putting it on my 04 engine in the Ultralite and putting the 04 tranny in my 02 car. I don't want to make the switch and find I have to switch them back when the problem comes back.