Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Road trip

Old 01-21-2002, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip

Planning a trip to California, up to San Francisco and take the 1 south to San Diego. Then take 10 home to Houston. Does any one know of any intresting places to stop?
Want to find something off the beaten path.
If you know of any such places i'd love to hear about it
Thanks,
Kris & Robert
If you can't go in style, don't go at all!
Old 01-21-2002, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yup, John David and I just returned from this same trip.

First of all - plan to stop somewhere like Phoenix, its the long haul down 10, but you should be able to make it. If not Phoenix, at least try for Tuscon.

Gas starts to get expensive just before you reach California around the town of Quartzsite - very funny town, lots of trailer homes and rocks, people selling, trading and collecting rocks. Why, I dont know. But its funny as hell if you happen to stop through there.

Once you hit LA, try to hit Angeles Crest, its HWY 2, just North East of Los Angeles. 66 miles of twisties, reaching up to 7901 feet, and yes, you'll see a bit of snow up there too.

When you go up to San Fran, if you dont hang out in LA, I suggest you just take 5 straight up. Should take no more than 5 hours from LA area. Its boring, its flat, and did I mention its boring?

On the way back from San Fran, take 1, but don't take it much further than San Luis Ob. (or however its spelled, you know what I mean). It doesn't get much better after that, but its spectacular from Monteray down to Hearst Castle which is located on HWY 1. Worth stopping and seeing if you have the time. Tours run every few hours and range from 10 - 15 bucks, but they last a few hours, so we couldn't spare the time. Also, fill up, to the rim before hitting HWY 1 - gas prices will range from 2.59 up to 3.12 for full service only gas stations along HWY 1.

Upon leaving San Diego, hit Ortega HWY on your way out to 10. It will be another fun ride.

Also, check here for fun roads and other sites: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...?threadid=27137

Any other tips I forgot to mention John?
Old 01-21-2002, 08:25 PM

You are going to have a great trip! There is not much between here and California to see, but there are many things to see and do in Calif. We went I-10 to get there and come back because Randy had connections in Tempe and Scottsdale so that we didn't have to rent a hotel (both are close to Phoenix which is about half way so it made for a great place to stop). If you would like a more scenic route I might suggest taking I-40. I would suggest something even higher, but I am afraid that this time of year you will have trouble crossing the Sierra Nevadas if you go any farther north. I have driven to California before, and took a higher route... and it was much more scenic. Interstate ten gets old after awhile... for 900 miles the scenery does not change.

Randy hit some good points, my only advice would be to not plan it too extensively. My only plans were to go to Laguna Seca... after that we had nothing planned; which turned out great because nothing could go wrong as we had no schedule to abide by. We had an excellent trip, and I am sure you will enjoy yours. I envy you... as I try to get caught back up with the work grime.
Old 01-22-2002, 06:24 AM

Originally posted by Schatten
Gas starts to get expensive just before you reach California...
You mean like this?

From my trip to Cali, Summer of 2000
Old 01-22-2002, 05:18 PM
Banned

John David and Randy, Thanks a bunch!
It's been about 4 years since I've been out west. I forgot all about those gas prices. Talk about sticker shock!!

I'm not going untill mid- spring I want it to warm up some. I can't stand cold weather. I'm originaly from S. Florida too thinned skinned for cold temps. I know San Francisico is always cold don't plan on being there very long at all.
Like you said I don't want to plan too much only get a good idea of a few places I know I would like to see. Don't even know exactly how long I'll be gone, I expect 2 or 3 weeks. If anyone plans on taking a trip to Colorado, I highly suggest Glenwood Canyon. Absolutely breath taking. A narrow canyon with I-70, Colorado River, and traintracks all winding between the canyon walls.
As far as activities you can go hiking, white water rafting, biking, skating, there are waterfalls, its great to spend the day or just to strech your legs. It's a beautiful drive. Located west of Denver.
Thanks again guys!
Kris & Robert
If you can't go in style, don't go at all!
Old 01-24-2002, 08:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kris and Robert:

Plan to take 2 different routes coming and going! I flew out to Laguna but drove back to Chicago with a friend (Chicago based owner "Clark"), and the route we took going back was AMAZING! We left Monterey, went south to Bakersfield, then across to Vegas and into Colorado. DON'T MISS SOUTHERN UTAH AND COLORADO! That was the most amazing part of my trip (and it saves you the boredom of I-10). Come across to Missouri and come south, or come down I-25 at Denver (it gets flat and boring after Denver anyway, but not if you head south there through Colorado Springs) to New Mexico and into Texas through Amarillo, but JUST DO IT! Those two states were simply breathtaking nearly the entire way through.

Note: In Utah on I-70, there is NO GAS in the mountains! When in doubt, just fill it up! Here's why:

Sweating hardcore, drifting in neutral (check the rpms vs speed in this pic) down 6% grades:

At the gas station, having found God in the last 45 miles:

Yep, that's 43 miles with no bars, gas light on! It took 12.93 gallons to fill it, so we truly WERE on fumes! I never want to do THAT part again! Just keep in mind that in the mountains, you will run through gas at very surprising rates, so just fill up if you can at 1/2 tank. We were busy talking, forgot about it, and got 80+ miles of nail biting, gas free excitement as a result!