Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Need advice on security issues in Houston

Old 09-10-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on security issues in Houston

Hey everyone,

I just relocated here from Tampa, FL. I am attempting to sell my S in Tampa before I have to ship it out here to Houston. The car has only the oem alarm system though. It seems that every 4th post in the Houston forum is related to a stolen or broken into S2k!! This really worries me. I live in a really secure complex in midtown but would probably hide it in a storage unit out of sight. I'm still not sure how confident I'd be bringing the car here without installing a 1000$+ viper alarm with every bell and whistle. Am I right in assuming this?

I have the option to leave the S in FL at my brothers house for him to sell though, and I'm wondering if some could chime in on whether I should do this?

Thanks for all your advice. I would stay in the S community here in Houston, however the low car scene seems to be a pita here with the terrible roads. I think I am going to save for a year or so and look into a mk4 supra.

Link to the car is here: https://www.s2ki.com/...0#entry23250350
Old 09-10-2014, 08:20 PM

As long as your car is garaged, you have hardtop locks, seat locks, and wheel locks, you'll be fine.

Just be observant of your surroundings.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep in mind that Houston's a much larger city than Tampa and that you have tobe careful relying on forum posts for statistical analysis.

In the end you have to do what works for you and that includes determining what security precuations you'd need to feel comfortable. With security you can't rely on a single solution. Layering is the way to go but even that doesn't guarantee anything.

Originally Posted by TardiS2K
I think I am going to save for a year or so and look into a mk4 supra.
...and you'd have to deal with the same sort of concerns with the Supra.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:58 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by WootRWD
As long as your car is garaged, you have hardtop locks, seat locks, and wheel locks, you'll be fine.

Just be observant of your surroundings.
Woot is right,

Also the forum is dead here, if you want to be active join the group HouS2k on Facebook. We are a lot more active on there. Bowling meet is coming up on Saturday the 20th. I will post details here soon.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:30 AM

Don't trust apartment garages. My S got stolen a couple months ago so I'm speaking from a bit of experience on this. Midtown is nice but I've even had friends who had their private attached garage in their townhome broken into. The theives here are brazen and out of control because they know the police refuse to investigate anything.

My motorcycle got stolen by presumably the same guys like a month later. My apartment seem "really secure" also - with gated access, multiple cameras, security patrols, lights on 24/7 and plenty of foot traffic.

My only advice would be to rent something where you can hear any noise in the garage at night, park your daily driver in front of the garage, get a dog, get a home defense weapon and be prepared to use it.

Sorry man.

:-(
Old 09-11-2014, 11:42 AM

Oh also, about 2 weeks after my S2000 got stolen, some thieves made off with a Terlingua Mustang from a storage facility up in Spring. The MO, description of the guys and truck all matched the theft of mine. Pretty sure it was the same guys, and that vehicle was never recovered either. I wouldn't trust a storage unit if I were you.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 AM

Thanks everyone for all your responses. Much appreciated.

Sounds like I will leave the car in FL for sure. My brother lives in a really nice area and can probably sell it fairly quick for me.

And yes as for the supra, at that point I will move into a suburb with a garage, security system on the car, house, cameras in the garage, probably a boobytrap, dogs, anti-tank mines, whatever I can get my hands on to protect it.