Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

HouStook's Next Drive, where, when ????

Old 03-12-2003, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how about heading to freeport on some route(maybe hwy 288), then going on from freeport to galveston. The road that goes from surfside beach to the galveston seawall is about 40 miles, and some what twisty. Also it runs along side to open beaches the entire way. Some spots to stop and check out beach or take pics, or whatever. Then once we get to the seawall we can go from there towards houston on some route. Just a suggestion. Maybe I could go with some one to check it out.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:43 PM

I'm for that. I live down at Kemah and there are no fun roads to drive on, and the trip across the ferry and up to I-10 is long straight and boring. Through Freeport across San Luis Pass would be more fun and not so drab, them up to Kemah. Overall the northeastern run looks ten times more fun. I'm in for either as long as they are on Sunday (my only weekend day off).
Old 03-12-2003, 09:16 PM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

By this Sunday I should be able to e-mail the route to someone who wants to drive it and check it out. You will need to find the starting point and then check mileage and route #'s along the way for each turn and also check the roads to see if they are in good condition (pot holes, dirt roads, un-safe areas, etc) or not. You will also need to check for places to get gas, use the bathroom and then pick a stop about half way. You can also look for a place to do a photo of the cars. On the route to Galveston you will also need to find a place to eat there, making sure there is enough parking for 15-20 cars. Then if you want, take the Ferry and check out the other part of the route.

And I need someone to do this and check out the short route.

Anyone up for this, the long route, or the short route??
Old 03-13-2003, 04:40 AM

I am up for the beach route.
Old 03-13-2003, 05:01 AM

Beach route sounds great, cool photo op?

Someone down south needs to pick up the ball and help Bruce by checking out the roads.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:51 AM

Uh, who is bruce? Maybe I can help check out roads, depending on what day it is.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:35 AM

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi I am Bruce, I am the one who has been doing the drives. The problem is that I live up by The Woodlands, so as you can see it would be a very long day for me, and odds are that the route will need to be driven 2 times before the group drives it.

What happens is that I e-mail you the directions, and you will drive the route and check things out.
"You will need to find the starting point (which I have tried to pick) and then check mileage and route #'s along the way for each turn and also check the roads to see if they are in good condition (pot holes, dirt roads, un-safe areas, etc) or not. You will also need to check for places to get gas, use the bathroom and then pick a stop about half way. You can also look for a place to do a photo of the cars."

You can do it on any day you want, but I would like to do the drive on April 6th or April 20th. So you will need to do it early enough for me to make changes if needed and then you will need to recheck everything if needed. The reason for this is so that we don't have to drive down any dirt roads or really rough roads. Others who have take cars on drives, without checking things out have had problems, I try to take care of those before we start. You will also need to have a map, so that if a road is no good, you can find you way around the bad part and then re-join the original route.

Are you up for this?

Coop
Old 03-13-2003, 11:11 AM

Great dates Bruce, I knew you'd take care of me.

If no one jumps up to helping you out I will do the dirty work, hell I don't have a real life when I am home.

However I hope someone steps up, maybe that someone and I can join forces?
Old 03-13-2003, 12:09 PM

I might be up for it if someone would be willing to join in. I live on hwy 288, about 35 -40 minutes from freeport(surfside beach) Anyone want to join in. PLEASE
Old 03-13-2003, 12:17 PM

OK, non-Northsiders.

You all complain about the North drives to far away, jump up! Don't make me drive all the way down south to join Venom and scout out "YOUR" roads.

Quick Reply: HouStook's Next Drive, where, when ????