Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Grinding when engaging clutch

Old 09-01-2013, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding when engaging clutch

Sounds like just after a year and a half of installed an entirely new clutch system (cc disk, pp, and f1 flywheel with OEM T/O bearing) I am getting the grinds when engaging the clutch from a dead stop. I thought master cylinder but after reading some threads I think I may need to drop the tranny..
On that note who has any recommendations on the NW side? Or does anybody do it themselves out of there own garage? I tried contacting matt but he's far out and can't get into contact. I'd like to tempt it myself but ill be moving this month
Old 09-01-2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would first start with the fluid and clutch master cylinder. If that doesn't fix it take it to the professionals
Old 09-01-2013, 06:41 PM

I thought the same at first with optimism. I adjusted the clutch with absolutely no slack and still had the issue. I completely bled the system not too long ago. It will go into gear just fine when it starts going. But from a start it makes a terrible grinding sound. It almost sounds like when you grind the gears from shifting incorrectly. I tried launching in 2nd gear and it does the exact same thing so I can pretty much safely say the synchros are ok.
So far my guesses are
-Failed clutch spring
-Broken clutch disc
-Pilot bearing
-t/o bearing
-PP
On a good note there is no slipping at all..
Old 09-02-2013, 06:42 AM

I would still try to replace the cmc. Honda I think has warranty on them as well.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:11 AM

I plan to when I order the parts I need. Cheaper to ship multiple parts. Gotta love needing to get work done on labor day and nothing is open..
Old 09-05-2013, 06:38 AM

i'm getting ready to open up my old transmission to see exactly what went out, as of now the spring on the clutch popped out and was grinded down a bit probably rubbing against the pressure plate. that could be the problem to my transmission problems but that popped off spring could have resulted into damaged syncros and maybe more. i will find out later this week.
Old 09-05-2013, 01:32 PM

The spring popping out IMO doesnt mean it will damage the synchros unless you been driving it like that for a while. Car has been in the shop for like two days now and they still havent taken the tranny off >_< They want me to just order the suspected parts so it doesnt sit longer than it needs to. Went on the safe side and got the pilot bearing/clutch plate, thought about the TO bearing but thats like 100$! Its a fairly new bearing so it should good. Still no word on exactly what it is
Old 09-05-2013, 01:58 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

damn I feel for you bro..... I have an oem ap2 clutch complete (disc, pressure plate, throw out bearing) and CMC. it was pulled from my buddies car with only 30k miles. we suspected a slipping clutch only to find out it was the delay valve in the CMC... :/

I also have a CC 6 puck sprung disc only though. it is used
Old 09-05-2013, 05:25 PM

does the CMC fit ap1? Was my next part on the list to order (unrelated, just due for it)
Old 09-06-2013, 06:03 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm unsure just don't see why not.

Quick Reply: Grinding when engaging clutch