Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Bizarre Experience

Old 05-13-2004, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TMeister
Tires definitely not spinning - pavement was dry, and if they had been spinning the speedometer would not have read so low.
Old 05-13-2004, 11:43 AM

Well Not really.. I have slipped the clutch before and smelt nothing.

1. Here is a test, hit around 40 MPH and shift into 6th gear. Now mash hard on the gas, if the clutch is slipping, then youll know it.

2. If you launched like you said, you have shaved off a few K miles off your clutch. I personally think the s2000 clutch is the weakest link in the performance of this car.

I am on my 3rd clutch @ 53,000 miles and I don't dump the clutch. I end up feathering the clutch, makes for a much smoother launch and saves your tranny and diff.

Dale
Old 05-14-2004, 09:50 AM

I recently had a similar experience when I was pulling into traffic...I'm "excellerating" but the car was barely moving (and no fat dude jokes---I know my car has to work harder then most to pull my lard-ass around) and the motor was reving high and I'm certain I wasn't riding the clutch...but it was smoking (not really smoking, but you could smell the burn). I just back-off the gas and hit the clutch, moved it in neutral then shifted back into 2nd again and it then took off. It was one of the strangest things...it made me question whether I rode the clutch or not--I'm still certain that I didn't--but it makes me wonder, maybe I did?? Only happened once, but I'm sure it took some life off the disk what ever happened by the smell of it. At about 12K miles, the clutch still feels really strong...

Dean
2003 Spa

PS--(Also, I never drop the clutch at high rev off the line).
Old 05-14-2004, 10:02 AM

You probably did not dis engage the clutch correctly...

It happens.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:17 AM

just trying to learn her myself...how can you not disengage correctly?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:32 PM

Originally posted by EssTooKayTD
just trying to learn her myself...how can you not disengage correctly?
???Exactly....foot off...released...if it's incorrectly done, that's a mechanical issue??

Dean
2003 Spa
Old 05-14-2004, 06:26 PM

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
1. Here is a test, hit around 40 MPH and shift into 6th gear. Now mash hard on the gas, if the clutch is slipping, then youll know it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK, did that - got on feeder road near entrance ramp, clear ahead, made 40MPH - put into 6th gear - stomped on the gas with my foot to the floor.

No unusual noise, smoke or smell - just struggled to increase speed. About 4-5 seconds to 65MPG and another 3-4 to 85MPH. I don't know if that's good or bad - I'm used to driving an Explorer, so I'm not sure what I should be expecting from this vehicle. Keep in mind I'm in an '04, which I think has a higher gear ratio in 6th than the earlier models. So - what do you think?

Also, with regards to feathering the clutch - it always seems to make the car "jump" when it engages from zero start. I've been driving standards for 25 years (although not in a sports car), so I'm not a novice. This clutch feels very inexact to me - I've been driving it for 5K+ miles, and I still don't have much certainty in its point of release.

Tip.
Old 05-15-2004, 07:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ole yeller
Old 05-15-2004, 07:48 AM

from what I understand, the S is a slightly more difficult manual to drive than most.
Old 05-15-2004, 03:12 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TMeister

OK, did that - got on feeder road near entrance ramp, clear ahead, made 40MPH - put into 6th gear - stomped on the gas with my foot to the floor.

No unusual noise, smoke or smell - just struggled to increase speed.

Quick Reply: Bizarre Experience