Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Bizarre Experience

Old 05-12-2004, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bizarre Experience

Me at a stop sign, next to cute young lady in a 'stang - she decides to rev me: and so, why not?

So, I hit the gas-pedal to up the revs, pop the clutch and . . . edge forward.

WTF? My revs were 7-8K, my speed barely 10MPH! I took 2nd up to about 17MPH, then in 3rd hit about 25 MPH, all while keeping my revs up and (I presume) the VTEC engaged. The engine was screaming and I was barely crawling!!

I had to back-off the gas pedal and drop the revs to about 3-4K (in 3rd gear) to let the wheels "catch up" to the engine, and then off I went. Of course, the lady in the 'stang was WAY down the road (probably laughing her pretty little arse off).

Tried only once to get it to repeat but it didn't (the car took off pretty fast, although I probably didn't have my revs quite as high as the first time).

Any idea what happened? I'm only beginning to understand this VTEC thingy . . .

Learning as I go - Tip.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:23 PM

maybe your tires were spinning the whole time?

Your clutch still half way engaged?

fyi.... vtec has nothing to do with what happened today
Old 05-12-2004, 04:58 PM

car smells good huh?
Old 05-12-2004, 05:25 PM

sounds like you jus burnt your clutch. IF you are going to drop the clutch (not a good idea) do it at around 6K rpms. If that's not what happened, then I'm clueless.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:44 PM

can u even drop the clutch on the S and still get a good launch? bc a lot of ppl just feather it. (ive tried and it does that too... crazy lag)
Old 05-12-2004, 06:46 PM

Tires definitely not spinning - pavement was dry, and if they had been spinning the speedometer would not have read so low. Clutch was fully engaged. I was concerned it might have been the VTEC because if FELT to me as if the engine was reving high but without the higher-pitched sound that the engine typically makes when the VTEC comes on-line.

No smell from the car - I thought I might have burned something up (like the clutch), but no odoriferous evidence.

Took it out again an hour ago, and everything seems fine (except it intermittently makes an unusual hum at low RPMs, but it's been doing that before tonite). Weird.

Guess I need to make a trip out to Joe's place sometime . . .

But, this lead into another question - for a fast pick-up from zero (and given the real horses don't come out of the barn until 6K or so), is the best way to just un-clutch and go normally: only faster? Someone told me (I think it was the salesman, actually) that it was not atypical to release the clutch at higher revs for a fast pick-up. Maybe he was just looking for a clutch-replacement annuity.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Yea, if your wheels weren't spinning, then you probably just burnt the clutch. If your car's fine, then I wouldn't worry too much about it, except it probably shaved a few K miles off your friction disc. For a speedy take off, I just sacrafice the clutch and feather it out slowly with alot of gas, it'll kill the clutch disc but I reduce my chances to bust the diff .
Old 05-12-2004, 08:13 PM

The master of launching has chimed in, lol.

You definitley burnt the clutch. It happenned the same way to me when i first purchased my S. You can ask the others on the board, the clutch can definitely be popped. I use to do it quite often. But then again, I am the best driver, hehe.

<waiting for joe to chime in and talk trash at my last comment>
Old 05-12-2004, 08:15 PM

my man can drive
Old 05-12-2004, 08:23 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by S2000-SOTO
The master of launching has chimed in, lol.

You definitley burnt the clutch. It happenned the same way to me when i first purchased my S.

Quick Reply: Bizarre Experience