Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Apexi Neo installed :)

Old 08-05-2010, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by falaly,Aug 5 2010, 07:37 PM
wow.. I need to go to carboy to install this!
Just an FYI...... Carboys charged me $300 for the neo install and tune. Its worth every buck spent. There is a Boomslang Plug n Play Harness you can buy and do the install yourself. Good thing about that is noone has to cut into your ecu wires for the install. Bad thing is the Boomslang Plug n Play Harness cost $200 and that more then what carboys will just install it for plus you still have to get a $170 tune. Another downfall is that the Boomslang Plug n Play Harness is only made up to (2006) s2000's. and be leave me when I say... nobody makes them for 2007 and up s2k's, beleave me.... Iv looked over and over for one. Anywhoooo.... Carboys does a great job and you can watch them do all the install and the tune. Iv had a few things done by them and im for sure sold.

The bad....

Today I was running my brothers 350z with in my S on the beltway. I dropped it into 4th and stayed there for about 20sec for him to get all ready and honk us off. I was running between 5500 and about 6300 RPM's when .... WTF... no power.. Check Engine light,VSA Light and the Exclamation Point Light ALL pops on at the same time. I then hurry and pull over and turn off the car. I cant think of a reason why all them would come on all at one time for no reason. As I turn the car back on all the light go off but NOT the Check Engine light. WTF! Im thinking to myself. Looking at all my aftermarket gauges everything looks great and there should be no reason for the light to be on. Then I think about... what if a wire from the neo going to the ecu came undone? Great part about the neo is taht you can go to an option screen that shows you the power going to each wire showing that there all working and getting the volts they need to run. Everything looks fine there, so that rules that out. So with my brother close behind we drive to autozone for them to pulg into my obd2 plug and read the code. So the Code reads ( P2647 ). ( Vtec oil pressure switch circuit low voltage. )

To do...

Step 1 . Check engine oil level for if your oil is to low , the ecu wont let the engine go into VTEC throwing all three lights.

I checked the oil.... Looks great!

Step 2. Open or short circuit condition.

I have a AEM volt gauge and its reading fine. And the NEO is showing all volt readings are just fine.

Step 3. Failed VTEC pressure switch.

From what iv read online while sitting at autozone racking my brain is........

This code is sometimes accompanied by an inability for the VTEC to physically engage.

You can try removing the VTEC spool valve and cleaning it out. You'll also want to remove the oil pressure switch itself from the VTEC valve and cleaning out the oil passages with some carb cleaner. Reset the computer. If it doesn't solve the problem, replace the pressure switch. They're somewhere around $60-65 IIRC. Do not over-torque it or it will break off.

I was like ill just replace the VTEC pressure switch. while im here and go on my way. WRONG.. you can only order the part and it takes 2 days to get it. With it being 9pm I know I wont find it anywhere around town.

Think..

Think...

So maybe.. just maybe thats not it. So I had the guy clear the code just to see if i drove it for a min if the light would come back on and my VTEC still not work. You'll never guess ... the light stayed off and my vtec worked. Everything seems just fine after clearing the code.

So the only thing I can think of was that on the NEO you can change at what point your vtec kicks in at. Stock on an AP2 is 6000 rpm's. When I had my car tuned , he lowered it to 5700 rpm's stating thats where it should be with the tune and added power. So... when I was about to run the 350z, I was running between 5500 and 6300 rpm's back and forth trying to get nose to nose and the car was going in and out of VTEC over and over. With the ecu thinking it goes into VTEC at 6000 rpm's but the neo making it kick in at 5700 rpm's over and over real fast , I think that the ecu flipped out and threw the codes not know what the hell was gong on with the VTEC. So the ecu put the car in a safe mode not letting the VTEC to kick in and lowering my power BIG time until the code was cleared.

Just an FYI ... if you install the NEO and run in and out of VTEC over and over real fast and the NEO is tuned to turn on your VTEC sooner or later then what the ecu wants it to , you may throw a ( P2647 code ) But from what iv gathered today, just have it cleared to see if your ecu just flipped out for a sec.

I will post the next few days on if the light came back on again. I mean it could have been a failed VTEC pressure switch and ill change it for sure if the light comes back on but for right now..... just clearing the code and letting the NEO do its thing (( NEO slapping the ECU in the face.... Im the boss now !!!! )) worked just fine for me.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember If you have old oil it will get thin and not allow correct pressure for vtect to engage as well. Im not sure if that would throw a code for a failed vtec pressure switch but I wouldnt see why it wouldnt
Old 08-05-2010, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by godmachine,Aug 5 2010, 11:39 PM
Remember If you have old oil it will get thin and not allow correct pressure for vtect to engage as well. Im not sure if that would throw a code for a failed vtec pressure switch but I wouldnt see why it wouldnt
Im sure that would throw a code as well but I have my oil changed every 2500 miles for I seem to run it a lil hard so I keep up with it. Thanks tho. Im sure your right. Im about to post up all the pics and some of just stuff iv done to the car.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:25 AM

Here are some Pics from the NEO install and Dyno.

Here is what all the NEO settings are at.

Here is the NEO installed.

And here are just a few upgrades that iv done.

car audio...

A few engine bolt on's here and there...

Seats...

AEM Gauges..

Exhaust...

Headlights..
Old 08-06-2010, 12:51 AM

nice trq increase. You should feel that for sure
Old 08-06-2010, 12:54 AM

Oh you do have a wideband . Whats your AFR's looking like after the tune? Also plz tell me you dont run around with the box lid off lol
Old 08-06-2010, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by godmachine,Aug 6 2010, 12:51 AM
nice trq increase. You should feel that for sure
oh.. I do. Thanks! Best mod so far.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by godmachine,Aug 6 2010, 12:54 AM
Oh you do have a wideband . Whats your AFR's looking like after the tune? Also plz tell me you dont run around with the box lid off lol
No I dont drive with the box lid off. Just showing what inside the box.
Old 08-06-2010, 01:00 AM

oh ok was just a wondering
Old 08-06-2010, 01:04 AM

Air/Fuel runs around 14.7 most of the time. dump the gas in a low gear... around 12.5 but goes right back to mid to high 14's. Start off from a light ... looking at around 15.6 - 16.3 but right back down to mid to high 14's

Quick Reply: Apexi Neo installed :)