Texas - Houston S2000 Owners Greater Houston Area S2000 Owners

Anyone with some knowledge of alarms

Old 02-12-2002, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with some knowledge of alarms

After my S2000 was broken into I am seriously now considering an alarm. All my prior experiences with aftermarket alarms have been awful. When I bought the car I was reluctant to add an alarm because the Honda alarm does not have motion sensor (correct me if I'm wrong) and without that option the convertible top will be cut before the alarm is activated, which kind of defeats the purpose of the alarm. Having an aftermarket alarm installed was kind of out of the question because the experieces I have had have been terrible. The installers always scratch up your panels, leave lose wires hanging, it never works properly and they always break down within a year or two.

I have a couple of questions.
Can I order the Honda alarm and add a motion sensor to it? If so how could I do it? I would prefer to do this that way I would keep the car as close to factory as posible.
How hard is it to install an aftermarket alarm with a motion sensor? What reliable brands can you recommend and what options would you suggest I get?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
mfabry
Old 02-12-2002, 09:27 AM

Go to Handa's website and you can down load instructions on how to install the OE alarm.
Old 02-12-2002, 10:31 AM

if you find out about the motion sensors on the factory alarm, then i would be willing to do that too. i haven't been broken into yet, but am sure it can happen. if you can't find anything about the motion sensors, then i would be willing to sell you my alarm (around summer time, if that's not too late). let us know/keep us updated. thanks.
Old 02-12-2002, 11:51 AM

mfabry,

You cannot effectively put a motion sensor to the stock alarm, unless the stock alarm is dual shock (which I doubt it is).

The good motion sensors have exterior perimiter and interior perimeter. Exterior will be the area outside your car and interior will be a small area inside and very close to your car. The exterior perimiter sensor will warn you when you get too close by chirping breifly. If the exterior perimeter sensor keeps detecting movement...it will eventually trigger the full alarm siren.
The interior perimeter triggers a full alarm siren if it is tripped...for example someone sticking thier hand inside your car...or cutting your soft top.

It's not hard to install the motion sensor to an alarm with a dual shock sensor. The shock sensor will give a warning chirp if the car is lightly bumped...and trigger the full alarm siren if bumped hard. Then you would tap into the "minor shock" wire of the shock sensor with the exterior motion sensor wire and tap the "full shock" wire of the shock sensor with the interior motion sensor wire.

If you don't have a dual shock sensor alarm, and just the single shock. You can just wire the interior motion sensor to the shock sensor. Your car alarm won't chirp when people are close to it...but it will trigger the full alarm if someone sticks their hand in the car or touches the soft top.
Old 02-12-2002, 12:01 PM

[QUOTE]
How hard is it to install an aftermarket alarm with a motion sensor? What reliable brands can you recommend and what options would you suggest I get?
Old 02-12-2002, 12:22 PM

Where did you have it installed and what is a turbo timer. Did they do a good job installing it, (no loose wires, scratches on your car, etc.).
Old 02-12-2002, 12:51 PM

mfabry,

American Audio Concepts

http://www.smartpages.com/home/americanaudioconcepts1

My friend referred me to them...they did a pretty good job.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:31 PM

Thanks Phantom.
Old 02-12-2002, 01:47 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by mfabry
[B]Where did you have it installed and what is a turbo timer.