Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

For you WRX types: recent STi articles

Old 03-03-2002, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great articles coming out of Europe on the STi. They've got it before us - and their version is much closer to what we'll get here in the states in a year. It (and ours) has a bit less power (only 261 HP) than the native Japanese model due to tougher emissions requirements, but is otherwise mechanically identical. Two great articles can be found in the current British car magazines:
1) "EVO" magazine: STi vs.: a) modified Mini Cooper; b) Honda Civic Type R; c) Lotus Elise; d) M3 SMG; and e) 911 Carrera
2) "Car" magazine: STi vs. Mitsu Evo VII

If you haven't seen these mags, Barnes & Noble is one place to get them. EVO is my personal favorite - it's a much more serious performance car mag than anything published in this country.

It's got a lot of major improvements over the WRX: [list=1][*]Front and rear limited slips diffs (versus open diffs,. essentially resulting in a 2-wheel drive car under slippery conditions)
[*]6-speed box w/much improved shifter
[*]forged pistons (a requirement in any turbo car, IMHO, especially one in which you may turn upt he boost someday)
[*]faster steering (a common complaint about the WRX)
[*]Brembo brakes at all 4 corners: 4 piston front and 2 rear (an enormous improvement)
[*]17" wheels/tires standard (versus dealer upgrade)
[*]suspension mods
[*]larger intercooler with water spray.
[*]engine with 80% parts changed over the WRX, including variable valve timing, sodum-filled exhaust valves, and hollow intake valves.
[*]suspension mods (including the hot inverted struts from the prior model's rally car experience)
[*]numerous interior (seats, quality of materials) and exterior (headlamps, rear spoiler) functional improvements.[/list=1] This is obviously a much more serious version of the WRX. Not to knock the WRX, it's a fabulous car, but things are evolving further and to the better!
Old 03-03-2002, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, it is going to be a sweet car none the less. But at a price. Rumor has it that it will MSRP at about 32K, and since it will be VERY limited production, you can expect about 35K for it, if not more.

Plus, they aren't bringing the wagon over... or I'd trade mine in!!
Old 03-03-2002, 03:31 PM

Yea, that's going to be a nice peice. And wickedly cost effective!

BTW, I saw a cut-apart show chassis at an auto show - the entire chassis and driveline. Problem is that it was amix of WRX and STi - WRX engine and driveline, STi brakes and seats. Interesting that somebody at Subaru used parts from both...

Question - will a sportwagon hold a bike inside (laying flat) without taking off a wheel? I need a second vehicle... requirement is that can carry my mtn or street bike inside without taking a wheel off... the WRX SportWagon would be perfect if it will do it!
Old 03-03-2002, 06:22 PM

Unfortunately, I cannot do that on mine. I have to take the front wheel off. Kinda sucks, I'm considering a hitch mount rack.

$300 total, install, hitch and rack

- Steve
Old 03-03-2002, 07:26 PM

Steve,

Why not get a Yakima roof rack? I've had both roof and hitch racks, and would much rather go the roof rack route w/ the WRX wagon. A roofrack is always ready to go, can have integrated locksand won't impede opening the rear hatch...not to mention that a hitch rack means more stuff to clutter your garage.

I'd get a hitch rack if I had the sedan, though, since I personally don't like the way roof racks look on them.
Old 03-03-2002, 09:08 PM

But I would have recurring nightmares of dropping bikes on my roof

Plus, I plan to haul a jet ski in the next couple years, so gotta be ready for that!!
Old 03-04-2002, 02:44 AM

Problems I see:

a) Roof Rack - inevitably, the bike falls off and damages the car. Also, there are difficulties clamping down some types of bike frames
b) Hitch rack - pedals hitting the bumper and scraping it. I usually use velcro wraps to keep the pedals from turning.

Both - theft.

So I want something I can put the bike into, along with a tent and a few other things, so that I can travel with the bike. Or, when biking locally, so that I can stop somewhere afterwards without having to worry.

This is the problem with multi-thousand dollar bikes... they have too much to steal...

This is what may force an SUV
Old 03-04-2002, 04:35 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by jwfisher
[B]Problems I see:

a) Roof Rack - inevitably, the bike falls off and damages the car. Also, there are difficulties clamping down some types of bike frames
b) Hitch rack - pedals hitting the bumper and scraping it. I usually use velcro wraps to keep the pedals from turning.

Both - theft.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:48 AM

Well, really, can you see Steve (WRXBoy) actually lifting a bike above his head?? NOT! /jk steve.
-- Aaron
Old 03-04-2002, 06:05 PM

There is really no way to prevent theft... except that inside the car it is a lot less visible.. and there are ways to lock it down in there that would make it very inconvenient to steal. I did loose the best mountain bike I had (a lot cheaper by far and away compared to my present one) from inside an SUV... but not locked down.

And I agree that the right roof rack shouldn't allow the bike to come loose... but many people I have talked to have indeed had that happen sooner or later. But I want it inside so that I can do some serious travel, at a good speed, without issues. And there is ogther stuff to carry off to the best kind of biking weekends... lots of camping gear and stuff.

How'd you like the 4Runner? I've got an opportunity to get a very good condition Tacoma SR-5 (mit TRD supercharger!) from a close friend... it's gonna take a bite out of my budget but it'd be great.

Quick Reply: For you WRX types: recent STi articles