Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Three SO2's and one Yokahama

Old 08-29-2001, 08:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Three SO2's and one Yokahama

My back right tire was losing air so I went to Discount tire to get them to do a courtesy flat tire repair yesterday, and it turns out that the nail was rubbing the inside of my tire. The nail rubbed the tire to the point that the steel was showing on the inside of the tire. They said it could blow at any moment, so they gave me a loaner tire to get by until I order new tires.

So I am trying to decide whether to put OEM S02's back on the car, or go with the toyo's that many others seem to like. Also, falken makes a new tire that fits our car called the azensis (sp) and they are really cheap: $78 a piece for the front's and $90 a piece for the rears. They are an asymmetrical tread design, and have a 200 tread ware rating. I posted about them in the other forum, but it doesn't look like anybody has tried them yet.

Anyway, the reason I am posting this is because I wanted to let you know that Discount Tire will match tire racks price on the OEM W rated SO2's. It saves the trouble of having to figure out how to get the tires up there, and you get the road hazard so if something happens like what just happened to me they credit you the money for the tire that is damaged. I was glad to hear that they did that.

As soon as I figure out what tires to get, I am going to get them ordered. The guy at Discount tire said if you don't get the tires heat cycled, you want to get at least two weeks worth of moderate driving on them before we hit the track on the 21st of next month (it is coming soon... I can't wait). So if you need tires get on it. I had my car inspected for the TWS event before I left the dealership, and Marcello kind of chuckled... He said I don't need to look at your car, I just rebuilt it. He said it is fine except for the front tires. He said an instructor wouldn't get in my car if I showed up to the track with my front tires in the shape they are in. I only have 15k miles on those fronts BTW.
Old 08-29-2001, 01:49 PM

Congrats on getting the car back. I'm still missing my baby. And I've seen your front tires. REPLACE THEM. My recommendation, you'll never be happy unless it's OEM SO'2s. I will gladly sell you 2 Yokohama AVS sports for the rear with about 4000 miles but plenty of tread for $120 for the pair. Cost $350.
Old 08-29-2001, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey John,

How much $ for the OEM S02's @ Discount Tire? Which location? DT has always given me awesome customer service, so I'm glad to hear we can get a price match from them. They've done enough free services for me that I should create some revenue for them every now and then. I'm already in pain just thinking about my upcoming tire outlay. In fact, it's crossed my mind that I might be better off doing a motorcycle track day on Monday, the day after the JE event ends. Thoughts?

Track Days:
Cage Bike
Venue TWS TMR
Cost $200 $100
Tires $800? have 3 new sets, GP compound, in attic
Other $ Pads? knee pucks
Crash? life sucks prob. min. cost to repair, a little pain?
Adr. rush very high extremely high, sensory overload!

Too bad I'm not rich and unemployed so I could do both!
Old 08-30-2001, 07:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chris S
[B]Hey
Old 08-30-2001, 07:25 AM

And BTW, I replaced my first set of rears at 8000 miles. I now have 15,500 miles on my car. What I am getting at is that that rear tire they are crediting me did not have that much life left in it.
I'm making out like a bandit on this deal.

Because of this I will always buy that lifetime certificate (even though they are expensive), and you can not buy that certificate from them unless you bought your tires from them (yet another down side to using tirerack).
Old 08-30-2001, 07:43 AM

The good thing about Discount Tire is that the local shop will match their internet price. A guy that I work with just got a pretty good deal on Khumo's.