Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Sun Dec 15th - Holiday Drive/Dinner - Details

Old 12-15-2002 | 02:34 PM

What happened??!
Old 12-15-2002 | 03:28 PM

I wasn't there, but I pray everyone's ok.

Renae
Old 12-15-2002 | 03:40 PM
Banned

Hi all,
sorry I went AWOL. I didn't have a talkabout and didn't want to play the figure out where everyone went game for the 2nd time today. I decided to just drive home for a late lunch. I wasn't really in the mood for driving anymore.
Rudy, I hope everything turns out OK. I've got my fingers crossed...
Old 12-15-2002 | 03:54 PM
Community Organizer

Some details....
A couple miles after we got going again after the river incident, we continued along on that road... My car was cold by that point, so I was driving easy for a while, which everybody seemed to be doing for the first little bit. We got caught behind a slower-moving SUV and Jeff went around it... The rest of us slowly started going around as conditions permitted. I had lost sight of the S2k that was in front of me, but wasn't completely flying along on the road, since I didn't know the road and had never driven it before. I saw a sign that indicated a stop sign was ahead, so I started slowing and had my foot on the brakes. I crested the hill at what was probably around 45mph or so, and as soon as I crested the top, I saw another SUV and three S2k's stopped at the bottom of the steep hill. I stood on my brakes, which did absolutely nothing, since my suspension was unloaded from the hill. My car wasn't slowing down. I quickly analyzed my options in my head... I couldn't go left into the oncoming side of the road -- they were staggered at the stop sign and the road was already too narrow... I wasn't going to plow into the back of another S2k down there and total 2 cars, so I took the only other way out. I attempted to bail to the right of everybody into the dirt, and wanted to plant myself between the SUV and the stop sign... Unfortunately, when I hit the dirt, steering and braking were pretty much gone -- it was too slippery and at that point we were just along for the ride. I ended up slamming right into the stop sign, lauching it across the highway. When the impact with the stop sign happened, both of my airbags deployed and I continued into the middle of the highway that crossed this road we were on. I immediately threw it in reverse to back the hell out of the way, but the damage was done. Front bumper is trashed, hood is dented up near the windshield, RF fender scratched up... mounting hole torn out on LF fender at the leading edge of it, and my windshield frame was buckled just above the windshield... Now my top doesn't latch properly and there is some terrible wind noise with the top on, no matter how fast or slow I am going.

Unfortunately, there wasn't anything I could do.... The combination of the steep grade down that hill, my tires were still fairly cold, the fact that it was a blind hill, and the fact that I had never been down that road before and didn't know what to expect all played a part in the whole ordeal. The only thing I'm happy about is that I didn't take out anybody else.... My racing instincts kicked in, when shit hit the fan, I bailed away from other cars, and put both feet down.... That's about all I could do...
Old 12-15-2002 | 04:44 PM

OMG!! Ricky I feel for you. At least you are OK.
I don't know what to say except that really sucks.
You aren't still driving w/ that cast on your leg are you?
It sounds like there was almost zero time/space to react which is really unfortunate b/c from 45mph the S2000 only needs a very short distance to stop.
Not knowing the road before you drive it is a really scary feeling.

BTW, what is this river incident that you refer to?
Old 12-15-2002 | 04:44 PM
20 Year Member

Glad you made it home alright. Your instincts were top notch and you did the best you could do for the situation - remember that.

Rudy is fine fine fine and he's now driving with the rest of the gang back to Houston right now.

Had a great time for the time we spent out there. Perhaps next time, we'll go to the Caverns down there.
Old 12-15-2002 | 04:45 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BeyerMonster
[B]
Old 12-15-2002 | 04:46 PM

Sorry to hear about all the bad luck today, but the most important thing is that nobody was hurt!
Old 12-15-2002 | 05:37 PM

Ricky,

Glad to hear you're o.k. Let me know if I can help you out in any way.
Old 12-15-2002 | 05:46 PM

Wow, I am glad that you were fast to react. I hope everything works out. Let us know how we can help.

Renae

Quick Reply: Sun Dec 15th - Holiday Drive/Dinner - Details