Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Rear Brake Pad Replacement Tool?

Old 09-16-2002, 06:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Brake Pad Replacement Tool?

I
Old 09-16-2002, 07:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need any special tools...

Open the master cylinder cap, compress the rear-break pads back (with a large flat head screwdriver), un-do the 2 bolts...

Remove caliper... Then BEFORE installing the new pads, the piston in there has a LARGE "X" cut in it... use that large screwdriver (or large flat piece of metal) and "twist" it in (clockwise I believe)-- this causes it to "retract". If you do NOT twist in the piston, you won't be able to get the caliper w/new pads back onto the rotor.

... insert new pads, replace bolts, put cap back on master cylinder, pump breaks.

Thats all you need to do as I recall it... Just make sure then you compress the caliper (for each side), you do it slowly otherwise the breakfluid can poor over into your engine compartment.

-- Aaron
Old 09-16-2002, 12:24 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah, the rear pistons need to be screwed back into the calipers (as opposed to simply pressed in like the fronts.) The piston face has an X carved into it - about 1/4 inch wide, probably a bit shallower than that. I've had difficulty getting screwdriver shafts to work - their hexagonal shape means they pop out very easily. There is a rear brake rotor tool you can use - it's a cube, with each face having a different sort of prong configuration for different styles of piston faces. The one I have is designed to fit a 1/2 inch socket driver.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:35 PM

Mark --

Is that brake tool available at any auto parts store? Does it have a name or can I just ask for a "brake tool"?

I too will be changing out my brakes in the next couple of weeks.

Jack
Old 09-16-2002, 12:51 PM

I wish I could help there - but the tool was given to me, so I'm not exactly sure where it came from. I think it'd be worth calling any ol' NAPA or Pep Boys or Sears and asking - if one store has one, they probably all do.
Old 09-16-2002, 02:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a tool which screws the piston back in... if you don't have it you have to improvise something else.

I got sick of going to AutoZone for every car I had... and just bought a set of *all* sizes.

Randy came up with a good improvisation... when for a change I didn't take the tool kit (or any tools) along to MSR. I didn't see exactly what he did... but I think he used na old brake pad?

Unlike most cars, the S2K's rear pistons have two grooves cut in them, in a X shape. Most cars have two small holes in the piston... which matching studs on the face of the caliper tool go into.

Using the tool is very easy, you just screw it in. No muss and no fuss. Unfortunately, there are a ton of different tools (my kit has a dozen)... and I don't know which one is required for the S2K. Maybe the shop manual has a specification?
Old 09-16-2002, 05:47 PM

I knew I had a picture somewhere...

Old 09-17-2002, 09:12 AM

Chris,

I can help you if you want. I learned from Randy.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:43 AM

I turned the piston with a decent size screwdriver. Put the shaft in one of the grooves and turn it. It is pretty simple.
Old 09-17-2002, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Elistan
[B]I knew I had a picture somewhere...

GLOVES!?!?!? Woooosie! Real men don't wear gloves, or are you a hand-model? (jk)

-- Aaron

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Pad Replacement Tool?