Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

New Speakers, etc.

Old 09-25-2003, 09:49 AM
DDS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Speakers, etc.

I am interested in putting better speakers in my S2k. I went to some of the meetings in Austin over a year ago, and there was a guy named Ramone (I believe) who installed them. Can anyone give me any info? I just have the factory speakers and really want to improve upon them.
Thanks.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:16 PM
Banned

One thing I highly recommend when upgrading speakers is to put an amp on them, regardless of how expensive or how cheap they are. From my experience, putting an amp on stock speakers makes a larger improvement to the sound quality than simply changing speakers. Particularly when you turn them up.

Blake
Old 09-26-2003, 07:59 AM
DDS

Blake,
Thanks for the info. I will definitely take your advice. I was thinking about adding a couple more speakers as well, but didn't know if they should go behind the seats or where. I'm pretty uneducated when it comes to this unfortunately.

Dee-Dee
Old 09-26-2003, 10:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ramon's user name is Rortiz...he helped me install (or did I help him by trying to stay out of the way) the rear speakers in my S2000 and an 8-speaker install in my Tundra. I know he's pretty busy w/ work these days, though...
Old 09-27-2003, 02:43 PM

I was planning on putting my speakers, amp, and headunit up on eBay in the near future (I turned my car in at the end of my lease a few months ago), but if you'd like to take a look at them, I can hold off and let you have first dibs. Here's what I have (and the prices I'd expect to get from an eBay sale):

- Focal PolyGlass 165V component speakers (mains and tweeters - I don't have rears) (*, **). ~$100

- PrecisionPower PowerClass PC2200 amp (200W total, 2 channel - very clean sound) (***). ~$100

- Pioneer Premier DEH7200 head unit (OEL display, I like one of their last models before they started adding MP3 capabilities). (****). ~$150

I have all of the following available, free:
(*) Lucid mounting rings for the mains
(**) Drilled A-pillar trim pieces I used to mount the tweeters. (Existing tweeter locations for 2K3+ model year cars is probably better. I had an '00)
(**) Felt-covered board I used to place the amp in the spare tire.
(***) Pioneer<->Honda wiring harness.

As new, I think my total component costs were around $1400. All of these components were in my car from 2001-2003. I personally found this setup to be great (with crossovers on the lowest setting, as the A-Pillar location and these tweeters sound pretty bright othwerwise) and not needing rear/fill speakers behind the seats. I'd highly recommend any of these brands if you want to buy new. (Though if you do want rear speakers, you'll need a 4 channel amp). I bought my stuff from Custom Sounds on Burnet, just FYI.

Also note that with this setup, you'd lose the dash controls to the left of the steering wheel, unless you went with with an IR adapter (search for SWI-X on these boards, or check out www.lucidautomotive.com). As an aside, from my reading the various sites/boards, it seems like Apline headunits have the best chance of having a direct-wire control setup, not needing an IR adapter, but I don't know the specific models that work that way.

I'd prefer to sell these locally simply for the convenience, but even if you're not interested in this used equipment, feel free to ask me about installation tips if you're going to do it yourself. (I had never done a stereo install myself, and it took me a full weekend being slow/careful. With hindsight, I think I could do it in 4 or 5 hours now...)

Good luck with whatever you decide! My components cost around $1400 new, and it was worth every penny! The difference is quite astounding, especially with the top down.
Old 09-27-2003, 10:02 PM
Banned

I might have to check out the amp. I need an amp that doesn't overheat like my MTX. I'll have to check out the exact specs on it, since it might be a bit underpowered for me...

Blake
Old 09-28-2003, 04:21 AM

Dave,

PM sent yesterday on the speakers/freebies...
Old 09-28-2003, 05:58 PM

Everything besides the headunit and wiring harness are SOLD. Chris cleaned house (and even picked up some other freebies I forgot I had)!

DDS, if you decide to go the route of a self-install, give me a holler if you need any help/advice. Otherwise, good luck with your upgrades - you'll definitely love it!
Old 09-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Thanks for the great deal, Dave!

I think my upcoming stereo upgrade is just what I need to convince me not to swap my S2000 for a new toy...
Old 10-02-2003, 01:21 PM
DDS

Thanks for the great info. I have been out of commission for about a week, so I'm just reading the responses.
Audball, I will definitely give you a holler with any questions.
Dee-Dee