Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

looking at my next mod;coilovers or NA

Old 05-12-2010, 02:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stanford has nothing close to stock springs and has great success with them as well...

But yes, they are worth almost as much as the purchase price of the car.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickycrx,May 12 2010, 04:59 PM
Stanford has nothing close to stock springs and has great success with them as well...

But yes, they are worth almost as much as the purchase price of the car.
Yes, I know Stanford's is highly modified.

My reference was to your car, and how SCCA AX stock class rules influences people to mod their cars in silly/low bang for buck (to me) ways, i.e. $5K shocks w/ stock springs.

Makes a bit more sense in SSM, when you can mod just about anything you want.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:52 PM
Community Organizer

It's not silly, IMO... I think you need to take a ride in my silver S... I think you'd be quite impressed.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:43 PM

No doubt I'd be impressed....I've ridden in Drew's S and was. But you can't deny that lack of options re: springs and rear sway limits your ability to optimize the handling. I'm just saying it's a shame to have such badass shocks, but you can't play w/ most other suspension components. Not to mention it seems crazy to have $5K shocks in a "stock" class car, doesn't seem to be in the spirit of an entry-level, reasonably affordable entry level class. That's not aimed at you, since you're just taking full advantage of class allowances, I just have a hard time w/ some of the class rules.

Then again, I'll be SSM next time I autocross. (and get my butt kicked)
Old 05-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Community Organizer

Oh, sure... It limits the options... But it keeps the playing field level. There are limits as to how far you can go with shocks based on the class rules... Double-adjustables are the highest you can go... You can't have 3 and 4-way adjustables ($12-20k+ depending on application)... I think $3-5k double-adjustables are a moderate allowance, based on the fact that these cars were $32k+ new. Realistically, I only have about $7.5k in 'mods' to the car if you factor in the shocks, sway bar, brake pads, and lightweight wheels. Compared to what you CAN do out there, I think that's pretty reasonable. There are folks that dump $40k of mods into CSP cars, because the rules are a lot less restrictive. It becomes a slippery slope, the more that is allowed, and that's why I *like* stock class competition. I have to deal with the same limitations as my other competitors, without breaking the bank. If you want to buy and build an SSM car that is truly nationally competitive, you better be ready to write a check with six digits in front of the decimal point.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Ouch! There go my dreams of winning a national championship in my NC!
Old 05-13-2010, 10:10 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris S,May 12 2010, 10:43 PM
Then again, I'll be SSM next time I autocross. (and get my butt kicked)
That's probably why I'll just stick to my S2k in STR. It's a fun and decently competitive class to run in. I think with Koni Sport shocks I can be right up there with Steven J and Jason M. I'll have to try the Miata in SSM and see how that goes.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Chris S,May 13 2010, 09:51 AM
Ouch! There go my dreams of winning a national championship in my NC!
Your car should be beating the automatic 350Z right now, Chris L :-)

Chris S: Compare your NC to Stanford's S2k and you'll see why I said what I did about the kind of money to spend... Even his car isn't up to the level of the Strelnieks' 3-rotor RX-7 yet ;-)
Old 05-13-2010, 12:23 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rickycrx,May 13 2010, 02:13 PM
Your car should be beating the automatic 350Z right now, Chris L :-)
Yeah, especially since he's having so many issues keeping the rear end in check from his coilovers bottoming out. He lives out at H2R since he works there so he definitely knows how to push his car to the limit. I'm still working on that. Koni Sports sound really nice for the S right now.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by rickycrx,May 13 2010, 01:13 PM
Chris S: Compare your NC to Stanford's S2k and you'll see why I said what I did about the kind of money to spend... Even his car isn't up to the level of the Strelnieks' 3-rotor RX-7 yet ;-)
Wow, it's crazy if Stanford's car isn't competitive, considering he has a rumored six figures dumped in that beast!

If I wanted to be competitive in AX, I'd prob. have just bought an S2000 CR or MS-R NC. Optimizing a car for the track vs. autocross classes rarely is a synchronized path, though.

Quick Reply: looking at my next mod;coilovers or NA