Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Koni adjustment help

Old 02-18-2009, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dobiechris,Feb 17 2009, 10:36 PM
I really enjoy going fast through the hill country, and needing to slow down to avoiding hitting my front sucks. One of these days I will get coilovers, that way I can adjust height and ride with little effort. I do love my lowered look though, that is why I am keeping the Eibach's on. We will have to see if that solves my problem on Sundays drive. So is anyone available to help me make the change to the stock height perch?
I actually used my coilovers to raise the ride height closer to stock with the Eibach Race Springs. Normally the top of the wheel arches ride about 26.5" from the ground. I corner balanced my car to ride no more than a quarter to half an inch lower. Any lower and I have clearance issues and the S2000 tends to bump steer. Less suspension travel is a bad thing on Hill Country roads. A full inch of drop may be a headache.

Your springs will not require a spring compressor to move the perches. I'm willing to help but I live north of Austin.

FYI, if you already have the Konis and Eibachs it may be possible to buy the GC coilovers separately. They're designed to use Eibach Race Spring diameters. If you bought the Sport or lowering springs however they might not fit. Ground Control sells a set of 4 coilovers with Eibach springs for about $100 per corner. If your springs fit you could get the coilovers alone for about half that amount. Their number is 530.677.8600 if you are interested.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:29 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by svann,Feb 18 2009, 10:11 AM
I actually used my coilovers to raise the ride height closer to stock with the Eibach Race Springs. Normally the top of the wheel arches ride about 26.5" from the ground. I corner balanced my car to ride no more than a quarter to half an inch lower. Any lower and I have clearance issues and the S2000 tends to bump steer. Less suspension travel is a bad thing on Hill Country roads. A full inch of drop may be a headache.

Your springs will not require a spring compressor to move the perches. I'm willing to help but I live north of Austin.

FYI, if you already have the Konis and Eibachs it may be possible to buy the GC coilovers separately. They're designed to use Eibach Race Spring diameters. If you bought the Sport or lowering springs however they might not fit. Ground Control sells a set of 4 coilovers with Eibach springs for about $100 per corner. If your springs fit you could get the coilovers alone for about half that amount. Their number is 530.677.8600 if you are interested.
How do Ground Control coilovers compare to stock ride quality? $400 for coilovers on all 4 corners? Seems cheaply-priced compared to all of the other systems out there.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RavynX,Feb 18 2009, 10:29 AM
How do Ground Control coilovers compare to stock ride quality? $400 for coilovers on all 4 corners? Seems cheaply-priced compared to all of the other systems out there.
That
Old 02-18-2009, 07:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Chris S,Feb 18 2009, 10:44 AM] That
Old 02-18-2009, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by svann,Feb 18 2009, 10:11 AM

Thanks a lot for the info. I will see if I can do this on my own. Thanks for the offer also.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by dobiechris,Feb 18 2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I will see if I can do this on my own. Thanks for the offer also.
The full GC kit with Koni single adjustable runs about $1200 and includes new upper mounts, springs and coilovers.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by RavynX,Feb 18 2009, 04:59 PM
Oh ok, I was gonna say... that's dirt cheap for coilovers! That's cool though, so a set of 4 Konis is usually $600'ish, right?
yep there's a sponsor on the for sale suspension forum that has them on special.

I'm not sure how much lower you can go by lowering the koni's on the perches with stock springs.

corner balancing seems
Old 02-19-2009, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by reedkr2,Feb 18 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm not sure how much lower you can go by lowering the koni's on the perches with stock springs.
The grooves in the Koni shock body are about a half-inch apart. I don't recall which is used with stock springs. With sport or lowering springs the top notch is used. My coilovers are perched on the upper groove. With Eibachs and Konis the GC range of adjustment is from near stock to almost 2-1/2" drop.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:42 PM

I tried to adjust my shocks today, but I think that I need an impact wrench. The bolts were on way too tight! I am not to sure that even if I had gotten them off that I would know what to do with them to change the perch that is being used. I am using the bottom one and want to go to the top one, stock height. I might have to suck it up and pay to get them adjusted.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by dobiechris,Feb 19 2009, 07:42 PM
I tried to adjust my shocks today, but I think that I need an impact wrench. The bolts were on way too tight! I am not to sure that even if I had gotten them off that I would know what to do with them to change the perch that is being used. I am using the bottom one and want to go to the top one, stock height. I might have to suck it up and pay to get them adjusted.
A big breaker bar is nice to break the bolts loose. I'm not sure you would be able to completely unload the front springs without unbolting the A arms. The A arms are attached with similar bolts. You need to re-torque these bolts under load (using a jack) back to service manual specs with a torque wrench. Unless you have the manual and required tools I wouldn't try this by yourself the first time.
I was fortunate to have the help of someone with experience when I first installed my new suspension. Several adjustments and half a dozen other S2000 installs later it seems easy but I'd suggest you find some help.
The offer stands if you need assistance. My son, a WyoTech trained automotive tech would probably love to turn wrenches on an S2000 again. He served as my pit crew and race technician before he went to school. He's living in Austin and we occasionally do routine service work and mods for fun.

Sounds like we should do a tech day.

Quick Reply: Koni adjustment help