Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

hot weather affecting your car?

Old 07-11-2005, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hot weather affecting your car?

damn... san antonio is way too hot for me to handle and this goes for my car too. as some of you might have read my post regarding improper working speedometer... i was wondering if this extreme heat is actually the reason for this flaw.

ive been working with service manager at hanson honda to correct this problem... however i got a call today from him stating that his demo car is showing the similar problem. so my question is... if you drive your s2k around or after 3pm locally or on highway when heat is just kickin... does your speedometer do the same thing as mine? replies would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:01 PM

Sorry not to concur buy my '02 hasn't had a problem yet. Speedometer problems can be caused by a loose cable going to it. Have they taken out the gauge cluster to examine it? Or tried another cluster for comparison?
Old 07-12-2005, 06:31 AM

I am not an electrical engineer, but it seems to be an isolated problem. I don't mean isolated to one car, but isolated to one spot in the readout. I would not suspect a wiring problem. I would think that there is a defect in that specific segment of the LCD display. LCD segments are ON or OFF. There is no way to only turn ON half a segment. The problemed segment is "getting power" because it is lit. There may be a defect like a crack that keeps it from lighting all the way to the bottom.

I would ask the dealer to replace the LCD part of the cluster.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:07 AM

well thats wat the dealer thought too so thats wat they did but that didnt fix the prob. im think its bad alternator or wiring because my speedometer and outside heat has somewat direct relation. my dad previous electrical engineer told me that heat will reduce the flow of juice and short circuit the electronic. but i was just wondering if you guys had the similar problem in this extreme heat.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 PM
Spammer

Originally Posted by nrgizeman,Jul 12 2005, 11:07 AM
well thats wat the dealer thought too so thats wat they did but that didnt fix the prob. im think its bad alternator or wiring because my speedometer and outside heat has somewat direct relation. my dad previous electrical engineer told me that heat will reduce the flow of juice and short circuit the electronic. but i was just wondering if you guys had the similar problem in this extreme heat.
Uhhhhh.....extreme heat?

Something tells me that your dad should know better.
Old 07-12-2005, 01:19 PM

well i call it "extreme" just the fact that maryland doesnt get this hot at this time of the year and just the fact that there are no trees in lackland afb so cool shaded area doesnt exist.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:11 PM
Spammer

Originally Posted by nrgizeman,Jul 12 2005, 01:19 PM
well i call it "extreme" just the fact that maryland doesnt get this hot at this time of the year and just the fact that there are no trees in lackland afb so cool shaded area doesnt exist.
Try riding around in traffic on a motorcycle with a black mesh jacket and full helmet on.

Blake
Old 07-16-2005, 09:05 AM

nrgizeman,

I actually have the exact same issue in the exactg same spot of the display when I have been driving for over 30 minutes in temps above 90. Haven't really looked into fixing it, I'll wait until the prblem worsens. The problem dissapears whenever I let the car cool down.
Old 07-16-2005, 07:12 PM
Spammer

try having them replace the speed sensors.
Old 07-17-2005, 07:48 AM

waiting for honda mechanics in california to reply with test result with their car. austins2k... if i get this problem fixed... ill let you know what to do.

blakesv... i was wondering how speedometer would affect this problem? could you explain to me. thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: hot weather affecting your car?