Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Help with Rotors - SA

Old 05-03-2012, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Rotors - SA

I'm buying new rotors soon and want to learn how to do them myself, can anyone help me put them on and I'll throw a couple bucks your way. Thanks
Old 05-03-2012, 05:11 PM

Rotors are a snap, but you should change out the pads at the same time. I am on the NE side, I don't mind helping out. When do you plan on changing them?
Old 05-04-2012, 06:00 AM

Probably around the 15th when I get paid again. I'll PM you when I get them. Thanks man.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:01 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure you have an impact screwdriver (the one you hit with a hammer) to take out those two pesky screws on each rotor. Be careful not to snap the tip on the screwdriver bit.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by RavynX
Make sure you have an impact screwdriver (the one you hit with a hammer) to take out those two pesky screws on each rotor. Be careful not to snap the tip on the screwdriver bit.
I was just going to say this. Sears sells them. I opted not to use one and had to drill out the screws after multiple drill bits and screw extractors broke. On a side note, if a screw extractor breaks into the screw be prepared for hell to get it out. Especially if it breaks off in the center.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:27 AM

I have another trick to get the screws out.. haven't broken or stripped one in over 20 years. I take a thin center punch to the middle of the screw, one good hit with BFH, screw comes right out.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Wydget
Originally Posted by RavynX' timestamp='1336140070' post='21669002
I was just going to say this. Sears sells them. I opted not to use one and had to drill out the screws after multiple drill bits and screw extractors broke. On a side note, if a screw extractor breaks into the screw be prepared for hell to get it out. Especially if it breaks off in the center.
When Justin & I were replacing the front rotors on my s2k the impact screwdriver tip broke off into one of the screws. Justin had to drill it out but we got it eventually. If one or more screws do break, don't worry about it as they're only used to keep the rotors seated when you remove the wheels.

Another broken tip occurred when I was helping my dad replace the rotors on his MDX. I ended up making two crossed slots with a dremel tool and took a new impact bit to it and got it removed. The two key things I can tell you about an impact screwdriver are (1) if you start to see the bit twisting, stop immediately and replace the bit before it snaps off and (2) buy the impact screwdrivers from Home Depot or Lowes that have a lifetime replacement warranty. You will eventually snap one of the tips off (keep the receipt too for exchange but I don't think it's required).

Originally Posted by JoeDirt1927
I have another trick to get the screws out.. haven't broken or stripped one in over 20 years. I take a thin center punch to the middle of the screw, one good hit with BFH, screw comes right out.
Serious questions, could you elaborate on how exactly that works? How does a center punch remove the screw?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:11 PM

Chris, its a little physics I guess. The screws freeze because of rust, dissimilar metals, heating and cooling cycles of the brakes..etc..
So when you give a good hit, its actually driving the screw deeper into the threads, and although maybe not seen with the naked eye, twisting as it follows the thread pattern, therefore breaking itself loose, and making easier to unscrew..along with WD40, goes without saying. Make sense? Furthermore, an impact driver is a funny tool along the same lines..how can you hammer something IN, AND out at the same time?
Old 05-06-2012, 01:23 PM

Another little known fact about rotors...other than the countersunk holes for the aforementioned screws, there are two other threaded holes in the rotors. Those are there to be used in lieu of a pulley when the rotors are frozen to the hub. Simply take the appropriate bolts, tightening bottoms the bolt to the hub, and pushes the rotor away from the hub. Another trick of the trade..along with BFH.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by JoeDirt1927
Chris, its a little physics I guess. The screws freeze because of rust, dissimilar metals, heating and cooling cycles of the brakes..etc..
So when you give a good hit, its actually driving the screw deeper into the threads, and although maybe not seen with the naked eye, twisting as it follows the thread pattern, therefore breaking itself loose, and making easier to unscrew..along with WD40, goes without saying. Make sense? Furthermore, an impact driver is a funny tool along the same lines..how can you hammer something IN, AND out at the same time?
Oh I know about the physics of how the impact screwdriver works and the dissimilar metals which is why it freezes up to begin with. I was just trying to visualize how punching a small indention on the inside of the screw would help. The impact screwdriver transmits most (not all) of the hammer's energy into spinning the bit rather than digging in to the screw. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the companies designing the impact screwsdrivers designed the bits to be soft metal. Easy to drill out of they break but pain in the ass because they break so easily. If the punch has been working for you then awesome. I would just be concerned about concentrating all that energy onto a very small point.

I've used the other tip you gave as well but eventually figured out that it's quicker/easier with a rubber mallet.

Quick Reply: Help with Rotors - SA