Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

FYI

Old 04-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FYI

Well if you all didnt know, a few weeks ago my car was undrivable....it would not go into gear easily....and it wouldnt want to downshift. So i changed the tranny fluid and the shifting got better..but still would grind on occasion, and was notchy. Honda told me it was the synchros...and that they needed 800 bucks just to LOOK at it and not even fix it. So i took it to Ricky and he told me it was part of the clutch assembly......just by driving it. He said this because the grinding, and what not was random.....and wasnt bad if the tranny speed slowed down. Ok so i get the hook up at a shop in another county....from a fellow s2ki member....and pops the clutch open, and what do we find!!??!!? About 2 inches of the pressure plate had ripped off and was tumbling around inside the clutch assembly.THis was causing the car to not fully disengage the clutch when needed...and make it stiff. Also i found out this was the stock clutch from 00'....71k miles later it was at its end of the road..literally. So for under 800 bucks i got the clutch hardware and materials....and installation..whereas other shops wanted 800 bucks just for labor on install...and not parts included. So if you ever come across this situation where it has the symptoms of a bad snychro, but is randomly occuring, its not your snychro!

Ill post pics later from my phone, my clutch disc was completely smooth, and had chips and pivets in it fro mthe metal flying around...and my pressure plate looked like shrapnel hit it. The guy said its normal wear and tear from 70k miles and my hard launches........

It was crazy, there was a pile of powderized clutch that once was solid matter...next to the other parts on the ground.....YIKES! But in the end my car now drives like a brand new s2000, and shifts smooth as butter.....
Old 04-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Community Organizer

Damn... Hate it when I'm right!

Awesome to hear that took care of it... Just from my past experiences of seeing failed clutches on various cars, it felt just like that was the problem. Just be sure to take care of it and it will last you over 100k next time around. My green CRX's clutch is OEM with over 70k on it, of which the last 30-35k of it was with the turbo on the ZC engine and no problems. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.

This is just one more nail in the coffin for $tealerships, though... You can't EVER trust those a$$holes.

Ricky
Old 04-01-2007, 09:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree that dealerships tend to rip you off on "checking" things out. But they probably have to quote you worst case. Obviously if they would have taken your transmission off and seen the above mentioned damage then they would have just repaired the clutch and not gone further into the transmission.
Old 04-01-2007, 10:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to hear you got your car fixed
Old 04-02-2007, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by rickycrx,Apr 1 2007, 07:28 AM
Damn... Hate it when I'm right!

Awesome to hear that took care of it... Just from my past experiences of seeing failed clutches on various cars, it felt just like that was the problem. Just be sure to take care of it and it will last you over 100k next time around. My green CRX's clutch is OEM with over 70k on it, of which the last 30-35k of it was with the turbo on the ZC engine and no problems. Take care of your car and it'll take care of you.

This is just one more nail in the coffin for $tealerships, though... You can't EVER trust those a$$holes.

Ricky
Question... it was the clutch assembly, but is it normal to have a part of the pressure plate rip off? I've never heard of this when talking to people who needed a new clutch.
Old 04-02-2007, 04:26 PM
Community Organizer

Maybe he meant one of the fingers of the pressure plate had broken off? Without seeing it, I can't tell you for sure what was wrong with it, but from my experience I could tell that the problem wasn't the transmission itself. Messages can get mixed up in translation when you do a 'he said this' and then try to repeat it, especially if you're not technically savvy on the topic at hand.

Ricky
Old 04-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Davidvongyork.

Please can you tell me, where is the shop location ?
Thx
Old 04-02-2007, 06:22 PM
Banned

You need to ask knoah if you can just give out their info....its not a "shop" shop...its kinda garage...and im not contracting business for them.

Sorry
Old 04-02-2007, 06:30 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Originally Posted by Txfr,Apr 2 2007, 04:30 PM
Davidvongyork.

Please can you tell me, where is the shop location ?
Thx
sup bro? need work or something PM ME ...

work is great.. right david ?

tee hee hee..

seriously give me a holla
Old 04-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Banned

work is good....but their ethic is lacking.......

Im not going back there again, im happy i got my clutch done for 300 bucks, and done right.....

Quick Reply: FYI