Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Fan belt install

Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan belt install

I just got another fan belt for my s apparently I need to change it out its making that noise while its running. My question is does anyone know how to do it and im sure theres a certain way of doing it. Or better yet we can do a D.I.Y and post it online for others to see at my place??? Any takers let me know so I can knock this out
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Check to see if Xviper has posted any "How-To's" over on www.s2kca.com
Old 02-17-2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Funat9,Feb 17 2009, 02:31 PM
I just got another fan belt for my s apparently I need to change it out its making that noise while its running. My question is does anyone know how to do it and im sure theres a certain way of doing it. Or better yet we can do a D.I.Y and post it online for others to see at my place??? Any takers let me know so I can knock this out
The S2000 has electric fans so no fan belt. You probably meant the alternator-compressor belt. The manual shows only 3 steps for removal and replacement. A breaker bar or a big torque wrench is needed to crank the tensioner pulley downwards to release belt tension.

1-Check that the pointer (A) on the auto-tensioner housing is not beyond the edge of the indicator rib (B) on the tensioner base.

2-Move the auto-tensioner (A) to relieve tension from the alternator belt (B), and remove the alternator-compressor belt.

3-Install the new belt in the reverse order of removal.

Since you are in the neighborhood we could change it out in a few minutes.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by svann,Feb 17 2009, 08:11 PM
The S2000 has electric fans so no fan belt. You probably meant the alternator-compressor belt. The manual shows only 3 steps for removal and replacement. A breaker bar or a big torque wrench is needed to crank the tensioner pulley downwards to release belt tension.

1-Check that the pointer (A) on the auto-tensioner housing is not beyond the edge of the indicator rib (B) on the tensioner base.

2-Move the auto-tensioner (A) to relieve tension from the alternator belt (B), and remove the alternator-compressor belt.

3-Install the new belt in the reverse order of removal.

Since you are in the neighborhood we could change it out in a few minutes.
easier said than done im more of a visual person than reading im the type if I read im like trying to put a square block in a circle block with a hammer but I rather have someone there with me that knows whats going on so I can make sure I dont mess up and a second eye does help out
Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Funat9,Feb 17 2009, 10:41 PM
easier said than done im more of a visual person than reading im the type if I read im like trying to put a square block in a circle block with a hammer but I rather have someone there with me that knows whats going on so I can make sure I dont mess up and a second eye does help out
I'd be happy to lend a hand. Probably easier if we work in my garage but this only takes a few minutes. I'm off most Fridays or we could take care of it early some evening.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by svann,Feb 18 2009, 10:47 AM
I'd be happy to lend a hand. Probably easier if we work in my garage but this only takes a few minutes. I'm off most Fridays or we could take care of it early some evening.
That would be awesome! Just tell me what I need so I can get the tools from autozone and rent them. Since I have the stock airbox, I have to remove the it right? I have the belt and have nothin to do on fridays since I have no job... let me know when its best of time to come by to knock this out and I would like to take pictures to have a D.I.Y. and post it up here so they can look that up for future reference
Old 02-18-2009, 05:00 PM

Don't worry about any tools. I have a lunch appointment Friday but the afternoon is clear. I'll text you on Friday. No need to remove the airbox.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by svann,Feb 19 2009, 02:00 AM
Don't worry about any tools. I have a lunch appointment Friday but the afternoon is clear. I'll text you on Friday. No need to remove the airbox.
If it's after 6, please text me too. I'm in the area and would love to see.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by svann,Feb 18 2009, 09:00 PM
Cool let me know im free all day and thanks again for helping out!
Old 02-21-2009, 05:56 AM

Notes for DIY serpentine belt replacement.

CAI owners, good news. Without an airbox the belt replacement takes about 2 minutes. Plenty of room to access the tensioner. The amount of tension on the belt is low so a normal socket wrench can supply enough force to remove and install the belt. There is plenty of room if you want to use a breaker bar to move the tensioner.

Stock airbox owners. Clearance behind the box is tight. A 14mm wrench or socket will just fit to rotate the tensioner. You can still see the belt path but it may take a few minutes to finesse it around the pulleys and tensioner. A flat handle tensioner pulley tool is indicated in the manual. I'm sure it fits easily but few DIY mechanics will have one.

At any rate this is really easy to do. With a CAI you can inspect the belt condition without removal. Stock airbox owners might want to remove the belt for examination or replacement at the service interval.

Funat9, thanks for letting me turn wrenches with you. With proper (f/r stagger) wheels and a few suspension adjustments your car will handle much better.