Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Austin S2ki F1 Weekend GTG

Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lot of us are in T-12
Old 08-24-2012, 06:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickycrx
The whole vehicle/parking situation sounds like a goat rodeo for this event, and is pretty disappointing. Some friends and I had planned to drag a big RV trailer to the site and stay there the entire weekend, but the facilities for hosting RVs isn't going to happen this year. Being that I live in the San Antonio area, and the track is only about an hour from my house, it doesn't make sense for me to get a hotel IN Austin for the exorbitant costs places are charging, so I'll probably have to end up driving/commuting back and forth each day, plus dealing with Austin traffic. Hoping that doesn't completely ruin the experience for me.
There will be RV parking, but the spots are someting like $15K for the weekend. Agreed, it's a total goat rodeo, and COTA's/Bobby Epstein's greed is a huge turnoff. I figured I'd go for the first year, not sure about beyond that.
Old 08-24-2012, 06:27 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by Chris S
There will be RV parking, but the spots are someting like $15K for the weekend. Agreed, it's a total goat rodeo, and COTA's/Bobby Epstein's greed is a huge turnoff. I figured I'd go for the first year, not sure about beyond that.
Yeah, at that price, they might as well not even have it. You know, for $1000 or so, it would be doable, but the greed is just insane.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:23 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

T12.

And for what it's worth, when Texas Motor Speedway opened in 1997, it was a horrible disaster. The next few races were still pretty bad, but supposedly things go quite smoothly now. I suspect something similar will happen in Austin. Expect lots and lots of issues, but just try to keep your cool and enjoy seeing the pretty cars go fast. . I'm not sure what time the race on Sunday will be, but I have to work on Monday and I don't necessarily expect I'll be getting sleep prior...

http://www.mikemulhern.net/BreakingN...es-abound-and-
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by rickycrx
The whole vehicle/parking situation sounds like a goat rodeo for this event, and is pretty disappointing. Some friends and I had planned to drag a big RV trailer to the site and stay there the entire weekend, but the facilities for hosting RVs isn't going to happen this year. Being that I live in the San Antonio area, and the track is only about an hour from my house, it doesn't make sense for me to get a hotel IN Austin for the exorbitant costs places are charging, so I'll probably have to end up driving/commuting back and forth each day, plus dealing with Austin traffic. Hoping that doesn't completely ruin the experience for me.
The SH 130 Tollway segments 5&6 should be complete before the race. You can catch it around Seguin and shoot straight up to the track avoiding I35 and I35 downtown traffic. The exit for the track is at the end of segment 4 and you can see the track from the tollway. The downtown exit should be in segment 3. Should cost less then $15 to make it up there.

I was talking to a few CotA reps at the race to Lockhart event last week and they are negotiating park and shuttle services around either lockhart or san marcos for the influx of guests staying in San Antonio. Hopefully we don't have to drive all the way up to Austin to park. If I have to park downtown Austin I'll just take the 4 door Honda instead. They also mentioned a classic/vintage F1 race during the weekend along with a Ferrari challenge. Expect lots of delicious Texas BBQ and tacos on and off the track!

Hotel occupancy in some of the smaller towns is almost at 100% because of all the Eagle Ford Shale activity (As far north as Bastrop). Hotel prices for this F1 circus is retarded. Last I heard they have over 200,000 tickets sold already.

If any one needs help with San Antonio accommodations let me know.

See you up there, I'll be GA and roaming around all 3 days.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:25 PM

As I mentioned in the other thread If there is enough interest I might be able to rent a 15 passenger van (if your willing to split the cost) I can shuttle the San Antonio/New Braunsfel crew to from and the bus parking facilities. I will also do my best to act as your tour guide.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:06 AM

In the event the Lockhart or San Marcos lots don't happen consider taking the tollroad a little farther up to 290 and park at the Expo Center. Might be easier traffic to negotiate via the 130 Toll versus fighting your way in and out of downtown.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by GateCrasher
As I mentioned in the other thread If there is enough interest I might be able to rent a 15 passenger van (if your willing to split the cost) I can shuttle the San Antonio/New Braunsfel crew to from and the bus parking facilities. I will also do my best to act as your tour guide.
If you charter a big stretch limo / bus you might be able to go directly to the track (check with your charter company). Taxis, busses and limos are supposed to be allowed into the facility.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by svann
If you charter a big stretch limo / bus you might be able to go directly to the track (check with your charter company). Taxis, busses and limos are supposed to be allowed into the facility.
Thanks for the heads up I'll check that out!
Old 09-01-2012, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by GateCrasher
I'd be interested.

Quick Reply: Austin S2ki F1 Weekend GTG