Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

Austin Group Drive II

Old 10-11-2004, 04:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rickycrx,Oct 11 2004, 06:09 PM
But then again, most of the original Austin folks have tried everything in their power to create their own 'elitist group' to exclude all others -- which is why only a select couple of you still post here.
I agree w/ your 1st and 3rd paragraphs, but not the middle one below, that's total BS. Our 'elitist group' (your words, not mine) is intended to be a smaller, more localized group of friends who know each other and actively participate in events together...which is why you have to come to an event to get on it. It stays much friendlier when we all know each other and you don't have strangers posting BS under the anonymity of the net.
Old 10-12-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rickycrx,Oct 11 2004, 06:09 PM
But then again, most of the original Austin folks have tried everything in their power to create their own 'elitist group' to exclude all others -- which is why only a select couple of you still post here.

Also, as the "Community Organizer" for the Central Texas forums, I feel it is part of my responsibility to try to keep and/or bring the two groups together, not split them apart.
You, of all people, should know that only a couple Austinites post here because they were banned. The others that don't post here and weren't banned don't post much at all, anywhere. So your assumption that it is an elitist group is wrong.

BTW, who made you Community Organizer? Oh that's right. You.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:20 AM

I'm sorry but theres enough s2000 owners in austin that HAVEN't been banned that i would say those who are banned are in the minority and shouldn't dictate what the majority do...I would say their group IS elitist in nature if you have to be invited before you can even become a part of the group and while they are all good guys I'm sure thats the wrong way to do it IMHO.
Old 10-12-2004, 09:41 AM
Community Organizer

BTW, who made you Community Organizer? Oh that's right. You.
Blake, once again your negative attitude towards me reins through... I honestly don't know what your problem is.

I was made the community organizer because *nobody else* would step up to the plate to do it. If you (or anybody else, for that matter) had a problem with it, there was a post in the public forum where you could have stated your issues in the public, but since nobody had any objections, they made me the CO.

As for the folks that were banned -- to my knowledge, there were only a couple of them, not the entire Austin group. Now, the times that the original group of folks from Austin put on a drive, the post historically has not been posted here until it's almost too late to even bother thinking about because other plans have been made by most of us.

As for what Chris said -- to be 'invited' to the list where the events are posted, you have to come attend -- sounds like an 'elitest group' by all definitions of the word.

At any rate, the bottom line of all of this is that I don't see any particular reason why the Central Texas forums need to be split up, and I am on a mission to try to get more events going in the future that will bring together as many people from all of the cities within a large radius of Austin AND San Antonio.

Ricky
Old 10-12-2004, 12:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by AustinS2k2003,Oct 12 2004, 11:20 AM
I'm sorry but theres enough s2000 owners in austin that HAVEN't been banned that i would say those who are banned are in the minority and shouldn't dictate what the majority do...I would say their group IS elitist in nature if you have to be invited before you can even become a part of the group and while they are all good guys I'm sure thats the wrong way to do it IMHO.
Actually, speaking from experience that is not correct. As you know, I put up a small, central texas forum on my own site. For the first few weeks, I had it where you could post as a guest, no registration required. That quickly lead to several out of line posts made by people who had not registered and were, for the most part, just on there causing trouble. Particularly in a group with such a history as the Austin S2000 group, in order to have a friendly medium for socializing over the internet, you have to have it moderated to some degree. And I think Chris is actually being a little overly cautious. I'm pretty sure he'll let anyone join, whether you show up to an event or not (because I know he did before), and you don't have to be invited, you can always go sign up, and I'm sure he'll approve you.

The problem with Yahoo! Groups is it's a mailing list based system, so the only way you can regulate who signs up is by moderating the people you allow to join. It's either open registration or moderated registration. Open registration is not an option, as I explained above, so there's no choice.

It's not a step any of them prefer, but a necessary one.

And Ricky, having no people support you or go against you does not mean that they wanted you to be the community organizer. Personally, I'm indifferent, since I don't plan on coming out to many events. And of course, many people might not have wanted to say anything to you, for fear of you alienating them from other events.

That and I'm willing to bet quite a few people didn't even read that thread.

Blake
Old 10-12-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by rickycrx,Oct 12 2004, 11:41 AM
As for what Chris said -- to be 'invited' to the list where the events are posted, you have to come attend -- sounds like an 'elitest group' by all definitions of the word.
Ricky, please stick to posting about what you know. Our Yahoo! Group isn't elitist in any way, shape, or form. We post our events here as well, and welcome all newcomers. The rationale for invite-only is b/c I want only folks who come out and participate w/ us, as opposed to non-participatory members who just like to post on forums. There's no further "qualification" than showing up, that gets you an automatic invite on the list. B/c most all of us know each other, it's a friendlier, more personal alternative to public forums, and I like it that way. I think we've had only one flame war, and it was quickly extinguished.

It really doesn't matter what you think about it, just trying to explain it for the newer Austin S2000 owners who I hope will join us and help the local S2000 community grow and prosper.
Old 10-12-2004, 03:58 PM

Too bad this thread got hijacked with all this AUS/S.A. crap, I just want to do a high speed run to Marble Falls!
Old 10-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chris S,Oct 12 2004, 05:51 PM
I think we've had only one flame war, and it was quickly extinguished.
And for some reason I'm still defending the group...

Old 10-13-2004, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by meriggi,Oct 12 2004, 11:58 PM
Too bad this thread got hijacked with all this AUS/S.A. crap, I just want to do a high speed run to Marble Falls!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Banned

*bows out*

Quick Reply: Austin Group Drive II