Texas - Central Texas S2000 Owners Central Texas S2000 Owners

100 Mile Loop Group Ride

Old 10-16-2003, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 100 Mile Loop Group Ride

Since the S.A. group has not had a GTG in awhile & Henry (S2KDDS) always organizes them, I would like to give him a break. So....... I thought that we could meet at Henry's office at 9:00am on Saturday Nov. 1 and drive the "100 Mile Loop" We will leave S.A. drive to Lost Maples and try to catch the leaves changing (cross your fingers) we can walk around a little, then grab lunch followed by some really fun twisties. The roads in that scenic drive are incredible. We will drive everything from easy, soft sweepers, through elevation changes, and cliff wall lined hairpins. Awesome!! Unlike most of our group rides; this one will consume a healthy chunk of the day. So bring your camera and be prepared to spend all of the morning and most of the afternoon driving and talking cars.

I know that the Austin group is having a overnight trip close to this area later in the month, but unfortunately I can't make it that weekend. And I am itching to drive those roads and look at the leaves change. All of the Austin group is more than welcome to join us. We would love to have you.

So the quick facts:
Meet at Henry's Office at 9:00am on Nov1.
If you have any questions or need directions to the office PM me or give me a call 210-422-0618.

See you Nov 1

Renae
Old 10-16-2003, 07:28 PM

I ventured through the Vanderpool / Leakey / Camp Wood loop recently. You should be aware that construction is in progress on the loop. Where bridges are being built over the old roadway you are forced to detour on single-lane dirt roads. The narrow roads are regulated by remote stoplights in one of the three locations where the pavement ends abruptly. Take it easy and avoid the area completely if significant rain threatens.
Also be warned that there are plenty of Harley cruises on the loop. Don't be surprised to round a corner and find slow traffic. Definitely stay on your side of the double yellow to avoid catastrophy. Keep in mind you will often have limestone cliffs on one side and a 500 foot drop on the other guarded by Armco steel. Be careful.
In the vicinity be aware that speeds are patrolled both by County Constable and Texas Dept. of Parks & Wildlife, I encountered both with Ka band radar equiped trucks.
The colors are already starting to turn so enjoy the leaves. Keep an eye out for the Tarpey Ranch. You'll know it when you see the Kangaroos and the Giraffes, no kidding.
Old 10-17-2003, 04:30 AM

Thanks Svann,

I was going to drive it the weekend before so that I would be aware of the construction and any detours. I didn't know the leaves were already changing, it should be nice. Are you going to be able to join us??

Renae
Old 10-17-2003, 08:27 AM
Community Organizer

Yep... Those are some excellent roads out there. Although I don't think I've ever really seen much law enforcement out there.

At any rate, we'll be taking it easy. This is one of those cruises that's just to let you throw the top down, take in some fresh air (and homemade pie!), and just relax.

Renae, be sure to give me the lowdown on any detours/construction you find when you go out there. By the way -- there's going to be an AutoCross on October 26th!
Old 10-17-2003, 11:14 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Joy S2000
Thanks Svann,

I was going to drive it the weekend before so that I would be aware of the construction and any detours.
Old 10-17-2003, 03:25 PM

That's cool, I wish I could make the Austin overnight thing, but I had already made a commitment to be somewhere else. I think I read you guys might do another one in the spring, hopefully I can make that one. Drive Safe

Renae
Old 10-18-2003, 10:46 AM

I'M IN!
Old 10-19-2003, 07:57 AM

Great Hendo,

I will see you there, if you need directions let me know. If the weather is anything like this weekend, I would not even care about the leaves the weather is good enough.

Renae
Old 10-20-2003, 11:25 AM

I hope the weather holds up. There are a couple of friends of mine that have a Vette and a Lexus. They would like to join us if you guys don't mind.
Old 10-20-2003, 12:10 PM

Ricky, I just noticed that your color is "unspecified". HA! You should trade in for an 04!

Quick Reply: 100 Mile Loop Group Ride