Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

VALVE ADJUSTMENT QUESTIONS

Old 04-13-2011, 05:16 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default VALVE ADJUSTMENT QUESTIONS

Hey guys ,

I've owned my S for about 40K miles now and today after I did my oil change it seemed as if there was a little more valve chatter than normal. And when I say valve chatter, it's pretty darn quiet, not very loud at all. The car does have 90K miles on it now though and I'm sure it'd be a safe idea to do a valve adjustment. I've only done these on Chevy V-8's in the past and never on the S2000. Though I know the concept is basically the same. Has anyone in the area actually done one on theirs, and if so would you be willing to come out some day in the near future and help me out? Just to make sure everything gets done right. Haha. I'll provide some beer/drinks and some food. Any insight is appreciated. THANKS!!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:03 PM

Slows2k was a honda tech and now lives in the boro, he is the man you want around!!

He did mine, plus some other stuff, but I had to drive to alabama
Old 04-13-2011, 06:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not to bad but you'll want the tool to do it easier, you can get it off amazon like so

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5KQ3QQ03VDN0EK

I would also recommend angled feeler gauges that go down to .001-.002. (the first set I bought was min at .005 and next was .010, boy was I mad when I started in on the job)

I think you may need a 5mm allen as well for the coil cover.

The rest of the tools are basic socket/wrenches and should be common. (19MM socket and 1/2" wratchet to turn the crank, 10 mm to take off valve cover nuts and coil, etc.)

I think it's harder to set chevy's vs hondas DOHC VTEC motors, you should have no issues with tools above. When it gets tricky is when you start using adjustable 10MM wratchet wrenches and screw drivers and going slightly loose on your gaps so when you tighten them down they are "just" right.. lol

I don't mind coming and helping, we should have a mod day like Matt started a bit ago!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by s2kAtTracks
Slows2k was a honda tech and now lives in the boro, he is the man you want around!!

He did mine, plus some other stuff, but I had to drive to alabama
I'll have to ask him, maybe he'll just chime in and offer his services haha.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Th@n@tos
It's not to bad but you'll want the tool to do it easier, you can get it off amazon like so

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...5KQ3QQ03VDN0EK

I would also recommend angled feeler gauges that go down to .001-.002. (the first set I bought was min at .005 and next was .010, boy was I mad when I started in on the job)

I think you may need a 5mm allen as well for the coil cover.

The rest of the tools are basic socket/wrenches and should be common. (19MM socket and 1/2" wratchet to turn the crank, 10 mm to take off valve cover nuts and coil, etc.)

I think it's harder to set chevy's vs hondas DOHC VTEC motors, you should have no issues with tools above. When it gets tricky is when you start using adjustable 10MM wratchet wrenches and screw drivers and going slightly loose on your gaps so when you tighten them down they are "just" right.. lol

I don't mind coming and helping, we should have a mod day like Matt started a bit ago!
I'm pretty sure I have the appropriate feeler gauges, but I've honestly never seen that tool before. What does it help with exactly? I've always used just regular wrenches.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM

A regular wrench can't get on the jam nut while you're holding the screwdriver on the center to keep your actual clearance correctly and be able to torque it down. Unless you have one of those really cool 1/2" hollow ratchets, it's good to have the adjustment tool so you can hold the handle in the center and tighten the jam nut by turning the red handle (on the tool pictured on amazon).

Now, with the above being said.. I've NEVER used that tool. I've always used a 10mm ratchet wrench or homemade crows foot and went a little on the loose side and when I tightened it all down, it was good. It does take a bit longer that way but can work. For $13 though, I'd get the tool. Back in the day when I did them it was like $85 and I was on a very limited budget.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:30 PM

that tool would be the bomb-diggity.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by dornon13
that tool would be the bomb-diggity.
No doubt, you should buy one so I can borrow it when I need to do mine next!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Th@n@tos
A regular wrench can't get on the jam nut while you're holding the screwdriver on the center to keep your actual clearance correctly and be able to torque it down. Unless you have one of those really cool 1/2" hollow ratchets, it's good to have the adjustment tool so you can hold the handle in the center and tighten the jam nut by turning the red handle (on the tool pictured on amazon).

Now, with the above being said.. I've NEVER used that tool. I've always used a 10mm ratchet wrench or homemade crows foot and went a little on the loose side and when I tightened it all down, it was good. It does take a bit longer that way but can work. For $13 though, I'd get the tool. Back in the day when I did them it was like $85 and I was on a very limited budget.
Okay, I got it now. I'll probably buy one then, is that the exact one I'd need? A 10mm one? If I buy one and you help me, you're more than welcome to borrow it when needed, haha
Old 04-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 351 Likes on 321 Posts

I'm not able to do much until I get my tools in TN. No place to keep them in the Apt.

Quick Reply: VALVE ADJUSTMENT QUESTIONS