Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Thinking about moving north.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy, check out MTSU also.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:47 PM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I live north of town and the commute to Cool Springs is pretty rough. I would definitely stay far away from anywhere near the airport as that's probably some of the worst rush hour traffic in town.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hm, I thought most of places only offered Associates and not full blown BFA's. Which always seemed to be the pull for going I thought. If you are going for full 4 year I'd probably choose MTSU or APSU. I know MTSU has done a lot for their art program over the years and two of our designers came from MTSU that are in my dept. I graduated from APSU. I would strongly suggest to not get a plain Graphic Design degree though at this point unless you are focusing strongly on the development aspect of web work. It looks like Watkins did have courses devoted to that which is good.

You get a more diverse art education at a University than you do at Watkins by looking at curriculum. Coming from someone who has been working in the field in Nashville for 7 years now you really really want to have a bigger skill set than just the normal print media. I've fallen behind since all that has really taken off and need to play catch up now in order to make myself more marketable. It's not a very lucrative field to get into either unless you really freelance a lot. It's sort of like playing sports, sure you can make millions doing it, but even being really good and not an all star you get stuck in the minors not making shit.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 AM

Thanks. I will look at all the schools in the area and figure out which is the right fit for me. having attended an art school before....I lean heavily toward that. But I will look at the universities again.

Thanks for all of the replies.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:23 AM

I had no idea Chris was moving up there.....weird, but Cool!!!

Stacey needs a job! She has worked as a paralegal for about the last 5 years or so. 2,000 law firms in Nashville. One of them has to need help.

Stacey's dream has always been to work in her chosen field. She has a BA from U of Alabama in Art History. She would love to work in an art museum! or anything related to art/design.

If you all hear of any jobs please let me know, so that I can pass it along to her. She has to get a job before we can move up there.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:02 AM

^ There are a few museums up here, plus plenty of corporate HQ's so I'd assume there's some need for a PL.

One piece of advice. Patience. I know people around here looking for jobs for over a year.

However, there's other cases where they landed something in a week.

It's all timing. I hope you have better timing than me.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Former Moderator

I've crashed and burned on everything I've tried for the past 2 years too. Sucks balls.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa,Sep 20 2010, 03:16 PM
You get a more diverse art education at a University than you do at Watkins by looking at curriculum. Coming from someone who has been working in the field in Nashville for 7 years now you really really want to have a bigger skill set than just the normal print media.
QFT - I have been a professional in Nashville for 4 years now (mainly java development) and having a diverse education in getting the BFA is a must!. I can't tell you how many times I have been pulled into areas of development that were minor topics in college. Having the experience (no matter how little might be) of those topics was a God-send. BTW I live in the west-Nashville/Bellevue area and absolutely love it. I have lived as far North as Hendersonville, as far South-East as Murfreesboro, and as far south as Brentwood. By my experience the drive in on 40 is EXPONENTIALLY better than 65 N, 65 S, or 24. And I hear that driving 40 from the East side is just pure hell. I work off West End (Vandy area) in Nashville and it takes me typically 18 to 25 minutes to be from my garage to my desk.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:51 PM

Thanks, 04silvers2k. Good information.
Old 10-14-2010, 10:19 AM

The wife and I will be heading up to Nashvegas, next sunday. She has been in charge of all the house hunting, elementry school investigating, etc. So, she has some areas she wants to visit. We want to be living up there by next summer. house is going up for sale in March.

Quick Reply: Thinking about moving north.