Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Tear my engine out/apart day thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have family in town from thanksgiving till after the weekend. Anytime after that I should be free though, just not this weekend.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Should be at my garage around 9am tomorrow. If you plan on coming, just shoot me a text and I'll text you the address.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:15 PM

Engine is almost all the way out/torn apart. All that's left is the short block, nothing is attached to it anymore other than the transmission and the two motor mounts. Should have it completely out on Tuesday. From what I can tell from up top, #2 Cyl. is where the issue occurred, looks like a rod bearing or something as there is some minor scoring to #2 cylinder. Nothing too terrible though. Honestly, I think a hone will get rid of it completely. It's not even enough to really catch a fingernail on. So as long as the journals on the block and bottoms of the cylinders aren't screwed up, I should be good to go with a new bearing set, and some new rods and pistons. Of course as a precaution I will upgrade the oil squirters/banjo bolts as well. The head looks great as suspected and no issues with that. So keeping my fingers crossed, it doesn't look AS bad as it surely could have been.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:09 PM
Former Moderator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it could have been a lot worse. At least you know how to fix it yourself so you're not out all that money as well. Got any pics of your torn apart ride?
Old 11-25-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Engine is almost all the way out/torn apart. All that's left is the short block, nothing is attached to it anymore other than the transmission and the two motor mounts. Should have it completely out on Tuesday. From what I can tell from up top, #2 Cyl. is where the issue occurred, looks like a rod bearing or something as there is some minor scoring to #2 cylinder. Nothing too terrible though. Honestly, I think a hone will get rid of it completely. It's not even enough to really catch a fingernail on. So as long as the journals on the block and bottoms of the cylinders aren't screwed up, I should be good to go with a new bearing set, and some new rods and pistons. Of course as a precaution I will upgrade the oil squirters/banjo bolts as well. The head looks great as suspected and no issues with that. So keeping my fingers crossed, it doesn't look AS bad as it surely could have been.
Sorry I wasn't able to come help, we are trying to get a roof and siding on a building before it starts pouring down rain this weekend! I'd love to see pics of the it as well!
Old 11-26-2011, 07:24 AM

I took pics, will upload them shortly....I am going to try and get the engine and tranny out on Tuesday and then do the rest of the engine teardown on Thursday if people wanna come over then, although I know a lot of you guys are probably going to be working.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:44 AM

Here's some pics I took along the way with my cell phone. The last two pics show #2 cylinder, disregard the oil on the piston as that drained down from the spark plug tube from a bad spark plug seal.

Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 AM

Well, the motor should last for awhile after this rebuild! Sucks it had to happen, but atleast like Russ said, you can do most of the work yourself to save a lot of cash
Old 11-26-2011, 07:52 AM

Yep! That's why I'm not all that upset. I know what'll be in it and know it'll be good to go. Definitely wondering if the oil squirters played a role in this.... We'll see I guess, but either way they will definitely be upgraded....
Old 11-26-2011, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by s2kAtTracks
Well, the motor should last for awhile after this rebuild! Sucks it had to happen, but atleast like Russ said, you can do most of the work yourself to save a lot of cash

Quick Reply: Tear my engine out/apart day thread