Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Road Atlanta report..

Old 11-24-2009, 09:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=trich101,Nov 23 2009, 01:32 PM] top of T-12 at 50mph and not being able to tell where the road went.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm down for a MC RA trip. Putnam Park seems like fun too.

Might haul the corolla wherever we go too.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Turn 7 at Road Atlanta:

Turn 7
This is the most important corner on the track. Negotiating this corner properly will allow you to make many passes down the long straightaway that follows and lower your lap time considerably.

After coming through Turn 6 you will once again need to slow down considerably. Turn 7 is the tightest, flattest, deceptive corner on the entire track. The key to a quick lap time lies in negotiating this corner in such a manner as to maximize your speed down the long back straightaway. Do your braking early!

Select an apex and path that allows you to pick up the throttle very early, then work on trying to maintain that pickup point while adding minute amounts of entry speed. You should be no more than 20% through the turn before you're at full throttle or near full throttle. This means getting your speed down early, going deep, and getting your turning done soon so you can open the wheel and get on the gas. It is far too common to try and carry too much speed out of 6 and maintain that speed through turn 7. Doing that will delay your throttle application and hurt straightaway speed.

Be aware that the runoff room just past the exit tightens up considerably as the wall veers over to meet the edge of the track, so be aware of this when you start experimenting with entry speeds and throttle pick up locations. You may go off or loop here if you are too early and there is only slight room here - don’t overcook it or you may find yourself into the tires or wall.

As you exit Turn 7, stay to the left side and check mirrors, gauges, etc. Motion for faster traffic to pass you on the right.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:11 AM

^^ nice info there, Rob. Now I'm going to practice that on X-Box
Old 11-24-2009, 11:43 AM

Putnam Park April 10-11. Who's down?

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...&#entry17620295
Old 11-24-2009, 01:46 PM

I was definitely taking the wrong line then, Thanks alot you guys. I was maybe half throttle right past the apex. I was to worried about wheel spin from too much throttle and going sideways. I've also started watching footage from youtube at RA. I should have done that before hand and researched alittle.
I need to ride along with someone or have them ride with me and get some coaching. I understand lines and apex pretty well thanks to years of Gran Tursimo.. but I'm struggling with heel-toe. I can down shift correctly when I'm on a straight, but turns and braking and timing it all still bothers me..
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 PM

You did not have an instructor in the car with you? You should have. Alway ask for a ride along with an instructor in their car. It really allows you to watch and learn the brake marks, turn in points and apex. It helps tie everything together cause your not having to focus on driving, just riding. I thought MVP had instructors for all first timers and/or anyone who requests them. Most of the time you will not have to ask for a ride along, the instructor usually ask the student.

Heel-toe is not a neccessity but it is beneficial. Learn safety, awareness and smoothness first. I'm still working on smooth, not there yet. Sometimes I just too tense.

Do ALL braking and downshifts in a straight line. Once the braking is done then turn and modulate throttle til apex, start to open the wheel and roll into the throttle again, smoothly.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by WynnS123,Nov 24 2009, 02:43 PM
Dangit. I will be at Mid Ohio that weekend. I will be going to Putnam May 15-16 with NASA Great Lakes region.

Although the next weekend (April 17-18) NASA MidWest will be at Gateway International, that's St Louis. I think its about a 5 hour drive too and was thinking of going. It's kinda like NSS but different. We can hit up Formula Redline, he is from there and on the boards here, and see if he thinks it's worth the trip.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:46 PM

I'll go wherever they'll let a stock roll bar S run. I'd like to hit up some NASA events with you this year, Rob.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:57 PM

They had an instructor for me and I waited for my slot.. he raced in the time slot before me so he was just coming off track when my slot was already heading out. I waited till after all the other cars started their run and he still hadn't shown.. I don't really blame him, It was just a mixup since this was the first time they did RA. Just some glitches to work out for next time.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta report..