Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Road Atlanta report..

Old 11-21-2009, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Atlanta report..

You guys MUST go to this even next year. That track was amazing. I got up to 120 in the longest straight before the still dip and the "faith" hill. I even passed up a Challenger R/T in the straights.
There were about 5 GTR's, most gutted and caged, a ton of Porsches and a few vette's. I was one of 4 S2k's out there. I must say I have a new found respect for Porsche, I can see why so man people race them. they owned my ass every time.. and sounded better than a Viper. Best of all was the Z06 desperately trying to pass this GTR and failing over and over. You just see him fly deeper and faster into the turns every lap,, but the GTR was always faster and better. I love a well engined car and not just a pile of horsepower.

As for the organization, there were three skill classes, each ran for 25 min intervals, all in the class each time. So for a mere $200 you get 5 sessions x 25 min= about 1 1/2 HOURS of racing. Then you can drop $400 and do it Both days and get 3 HOURS OF TRACK TIME..... and ask a few people with some high end toys if you can ride along on their runs.. Elise or 911 turbo anyone...

I must say Wynn, you were right. I fell in love with the 2k all over again.. every lap.

I'll post some track picks later...
Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you run RA yesterday with MVP Track Time? "The Turkey Trot" as they call it.

I was supposed to run RA this weekend, but my kid is due in 11 days, so I'm done for the season.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome man! I would so love to do some real road racing. Kinda nervous with a car payment still though
Old 11-22-2009, 07:39 AM

I'm still making payments too, you just have to not push as hard. For most part there weren't really cars next to me either, the fast boys were way ahead and I passed up ppl but usually it was just me and the corners. Tons of hills too.

I do have to say, make sure you have fresh rotors. I actually ended the day early because my rotors were starting to fade to fast and I wanted to be safe so I called it a day. I went into a spin goinging up an easy corner I had done all day because I just tapped the brakes and they said NO. So just just make sure you have fresh fluid, and fresh rotors. Or bring a spare set. IT was a two day event and alot of people torn their cars apart between sessions.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by s2kAtTracks,Nov 22 2009, 07:39 AM
Awesome man! I would so love to do some real road racing. Kinda nervous with a car payment still though
I don't think he was racing wheel to wheel. You need a license for that. This was probably just an HPDE.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by trich101,Nov 22 2009, 10:39 AM
I do have to say, make sure you have fresh rotors. I actually ended the day early because my rotors were starting to fade to fast and I wanted to be safe so I called it a day.
You need better pads and fluid. Those are the things that will cause fade. I run Carbotech XP10/8 with some off the shelf Prestone DOT4. My rotors are just stockish Centric Premium blanks.
Old 11-22-2009, 04:12 PM

What turn did you spin?
Old 11-22-2009, 05:06 PM

Turn 5. I took it a little harder than I had all day and I had a little oversteer so tapped my brakes to ease my angle and they just didn't respond. I just swapped my fluid with some castrol dot3 and my pads are OEM and about half gone.

On the topic if brakes. Get some Speed Bleeders. I got some russels. It takes longer to take off the wheel than it does to flush that wheel. Maybe ten pumps and its shooting clear and no need to retighten between pumps. Well worth the money. Get one more set for your clutch too. I didn't think of that till after.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:38 PM

Did you left foot brake during the oversteer? The hard part for me at T-5 is the short brake zone, in your case, no brake zone.
Old 11-22-2009, 06:00 PM

No.. I hadn't needed to brake in that corner all day so when I started to drift in and slide I got nervous and tried to turn in and brake.. I should mention that this was my first real track race so I was a little nervous to begin with.

Quick Reply: Road Atlanta report..