Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Mugen-style hardtop

Old 07-13-2006 | 05:04 PM

Default Mugen-style hardtop

kinda just testing the waters but i stumbled across a bodykit company that manufactures a fiberglass mugen style hardtop. no back window. they seem to be a pretty good quality fiberglass. the price is very reasonable compared to seibons carbon one and the real mugen fiberglass. if anyone is interested in one, shout at me because he said he wanted me to post on here. i'll try posting outside of the music city forum depending on how well you guys think it will sell. any and all feedback welcome.
Old 07-13-2006 | 05:20 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Is this guy near Nashville?

You do know that it takes about $1349.00 in parts to complete a hardtop, right?

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/product.ph...1&cat=92&page=1

That does not include the rear window or paint.
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:21 PM
Former Moderator

I'll stick to just buying the Mugen one, just can't beat their fitment.
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:49 PM
Member (Premium)

Not even that, where would you get the rear window ??
Old 07-13-2006 | 06:51 PM
Former Moderator

You'd end up spending more money on that one after everything was said and done than just buying an OEM or Mugen FRP
Old 07-13-2006 | 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by nj2tn,Jul 13 2006, 06:49 PM
Not even that, where would you get the rear window ??
i have a friend that does awesome plexiglass work. i know, i know, its plexiglass, im just saying. anyway, these hardtops go for around 1100 shipped unainted. now i know nothing about how much paint or labor is, and i havent priced oem tops in a while, it just seemed like a good deal, i still might get on it if i pick this car up that im looking at. btw, how much would i be looking at in paint, not thru honda?
Also, whats the difference between an install kit for an oem top as opposed to the mugen or mugen style, because an install kit for the oems are substantially less... hmmm...
Old 07-13-2006 | 07:52 PM
Former Moderator

I bet there would be a lot more labor to properly prep a fiberglass top than an OEM, or Mugen. Plus with OEM you get glass, Mugen you do get plexi but you also get a more finished product, something that is a gaurenteed perfect fit vs lots of prep work for fiberglass (Mugen is FRP, not just fiberglass) something that might not fit very well, having to buy a window. OEM hardtops go used for like 1600-1800 roughly and the Mugen FRP is 2800 new with OEM being like 2200 new I think. I wouldn't want to risk windnoise and I'm not even sure what type of mounting the fiberglass top would come with or if that is something you have to purchase seperately. The underside of the fiberglass would need a ton of prep I'm sure.
Old 07-13-2006 | 08:33 PM
Member (Premium)

Next oem that shows up in white or black i'm jumpin on it. Unless it's another color for cheap and I'll paint it.
Old 07-13-2006 | 09:57 PM

F this, maybe i'll just pimp the explorer. No hard top needed.
Anyway, i just wanted to get some feedback from you guys, like i said any and all was and is very useful. im still without an s, so when the time comes, i'll porbably look deeper into it so be on your toes. i'm still gonna see how good of quality this top is. but as far as comparing what i know thus far about this hardtop and what ya'll have told me about the others, the mugen frp sounds like a safe bet. man this is an expensive hobby.
Old 07-14-2006 | 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by nj2tn,Jul 13 2006, 11:33 PM
Next oem that shows up in white or black i'm jumpin on it. Unless it's another color for cheap and I'll paint it.
There's a guy selling OEM black mirrors for $150 in the classifieds. Just an FYI if you missed them. There's another guy selling '06 wheels and tires too.

Quick Reply: Mugen-style hardtop