Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

I did my calipers...

Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I did my calipers...

Cross post from the Gallery, so shoot me. SMOG is my home, lol.

Hey y'all, I just did the calipers on the S this past weekend and just now got around to putting up pics. I dremeled down as much of the caliper as I could fits all the bits into. This is a strenuous process, especially if you keep the calipers on the car, as I did. I used the metal carbide grinding plate first, then followed that up with 3 different grits of sanding bits. Finished it off with 220, and then 400 grit sandpaper. It was so shiny when I was done, I couldnt believe it. I then used Duplicolor High-Temp Engine Enamel in Gloss Black, and did 5 coats of color. I let it dry for about 2 hours, then applied the decal, and then cleared 5 times shortly thereafter. I think they turned out great, especially better than how they look stock with the nasty casting marks. Here ya go:

The rears I didnt sand down as much (barely at all actually, but I did clean them well. I used the same painting process, with less clear).

What'cha think?

-Matt
Old 08-06-2007, 08:59 PM

Very nice! I completely ground mine and I it took a couple days. I don't think I would do it agian, way to much work. I think I'd pay someone to do it. If it ever gets messed up or I decied to go with another color I'm going to take them off and have them powder coated.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:02 PM

Got any pics of yours? I wanted to take mine off and spend forever on them, but I didnt want to mess with taking them off (contradiction, I know). I think they turned out well. Sure as heck took me long enough, @ 9.5 hours.

-Matt
Old 08-06-2007, 09:25 PM

Let me see if I can find any photos. I ground them on the car, but went to great lengths to get every little pit and cast mark out of it. Especially the front It took me 2 full days to do it. You should have seen the metal dust I swept up off the floor when I was done. I finished up the night before our last mod day and put the wheels on that morning. Got in a hurry and scratched a place on one of them... DOH! I have yet to touch it back up.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:43 PM

No photos atm. I just now tried taking some in the garage but its to dark, with the flash it just washes the photo out. I'll try to get some tomarrow. I used the kit, which is a brush on. So all that prep work doesn't look as good as it could with tiny brush marks. Thats why I think it would be better to powder coat. I just don't know how to remove them and put them back on. Mines silver btw. Any color is better than that greenish gray coating they have on them stock.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:52 AM

Oh tell me about it, stock they look awful!

-Matt
Old 08-07-2007, 06:42 AM

Looks great. I'm probably going black if I ever get around to it.

What's up with those valve stem caps though?
Old 08-07-2007, 06:45 AM

bah, its for the nitrogen inflation. i hate em, but i cant find my extra set of black ones.

-matt
Old 08-07-2007, 07:01 AM

spray paint baby!
Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 AM

I dont know how I didnt think of that.

-Matt

Quick Reply: I did my calipers...