Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Collateral damage...and the journey to rebuild

Old 02-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collateral damage...and the journey to rebuild

So my car was having difficulty cranking... Got her turned over and everything sounded fine. 1/2 mile down the road she dies. I had just had the battery replaced, so I thought maybe the alternator was going bad. I was able to get her started again, so I continued into work. I get to the gate and she dies again. I find someone to give me a jump, and decide to head home. Car dies again. Again, I get her started. 2 miles from the house she dies and my battery is dead! I call a friend and he gives me a jump and follows me home. What I should have done was call a tow truck! Up to this point there were no unusual noises. Once I got her cranked again though, I start to hear the TCT. She dies again on the way home. I crank her one more time to finish the 1/4 mile journey. Now there is what sounds like engine knocking...I am crushed! I did manage to get her home and into the garage, but I think in my attempt to avoid the tow truck I have caused further catastrophic damage. At some point, the bolt for the idle cam disappeared from engine block...nothing good happens once that occurs! If anyone knows a reputable shop with experience working on our cars in the Clarksville/Nashville area, I would greatly appreciate a recommendation.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Member (Premium)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Jordan has done a few rebuilds. He is a local Member. He will chime in soon
Old 02-12-2013, 04:28 PM

Old 02-12-2013, 04:38 PM

Gonna pull the valve cover tomorrow and take some pictures...maybe I got lucky...lol
Old 02-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Chances are you had piston-valve contact if that idler bolt came out. Keep me posted. If you wish, you can PM me and we can discuss a proper course of action privately.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:30 PM

jordan is the man
Old 02-28-2013, 05:21 AM

I apologize for starting this then falling off the face of the earth. We just had a baby last week, so that has been the priority! Anyways, looks like the head needs to be replaced due to a worn cam shaft tower. I feel pretty lucky actually. There seems to be no valve-piston contact. I will have to replace the intake cam, both cam gears, the idle cam gear, and the timing chain. All the metal shavings appear to be from the timing chain rubbing the valve cover/front of the head. I have been able to source a well-priced head from a friend, so she should be back on the road shortly! I am starting to get withdraws...
Old 02-28-2013, 05:36 AM

I would plan on a new oil pump as well. All those metal shavings no doubt tore up the lobe on the pump and shortened the life of it. Also, it's a good idea to replace the pump because in order to do so you'll have to pull the oil pan which in turn will let you get all of the debris out preventing any further issues. Also be sure to pull the VTEC solenoid and replace that gasket as there is likely metal bits trapped by the solenoid gasket screen/filter.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:37 AM

Also, there shouldn't be any need to replace the actual head. Just make sure that when you get the cam holders that you get matching sets (uppers and lowers) as an upper from one set is NOT compatible with a lower from another set due to them being machined together as a set.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:00 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I've seen the pics, it needs a head. Just sold him my spare today

Quick Reply: Collateral damage...and the journey to rebuild