Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

coilovers making a popping noise

Old 03-16-2009, 06:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coilovers making a popping noise

So I decided to buy the set of bc racing coilovers that I was asking about. Everything is on and I am having a slight problem. My car has been making a popping noise which is coming from the rear. The noise sounds like a sway bar popping if it is loose or poorly attached. I am pretty confident everything is bolted together with one exception. 5 minutes ago I noticed that on of the top bolts on the left coilover which is under the fuel lines is loose. So much that I can unscrew it with my hand. Is it possible that this one bolt being loose could be the source of the noise?

Despite this noise the car handles fine. I have only had these coils on for about a day.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Community Organizer

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I would say that could very well be the source of the noise. When does it make the popping noise? going over bumps and such, or just driving?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:01 AM

yeah, typically, if there are weird noises and loose bolts, the bolts are making the noises.
tighten the bolt and see if it keeps making the noise.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:47 AM

Shit yea, you're probably hearing the threads on the stud pop off the body of the car. Get that shit fixed asap.

Also, I'd examine the coils to make sure they're not rubbing anywhere else.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:46 PM

Well I tightened the bolt and it is still making the same noise. The problem is getting around the fuel line. As for this noise it seems to be happening when I go over bumps or when I slow down. Generally I haven't heard the noise below 20 mph. Last night I completely pulled the rear suspension out adjusted it. All of the bolts appear to be fully tightened. I will say this though, I barely had to push down on the rear control arms to be able to fit the coil. Once it was over the hump I did'nt have a problem getting it on. Also I can't tighten my sway bar any more. Is it possible that I just need to readjust it somehow? I never had to unhook it to get the coil on.
Old 03-16-2009, 02:31 PM

you can push the fuel line in by removing the three nuts inside your gas door...then you can push the fuel line in and move it around
Old 03-16-2009, 02:32 PM

if you are still having a problem with nuts in that area...
Old 03-16-2009, 04:39 PM

What top hats did you use? Does the kit come w/ the spacer and top or did you transfer from your oems ?

You can easily move that fuel line in the trunk...don't be afraid to yank it over.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:17 PM

Actually Now that I think about it, on one side I used different screws. The kit did not come with spacers that I know of but, I'll double check the packaging.

Is it possible my sway bar is the source of the problem? When I mounted these coilovers I had to put a little bit of pressure on the control arms to get the bottom end of the sleeve to move into place. Honestly the noise I am hearing sounds like a sway bar knocking. Is it possible I need to loosen my sway bar and re tighten it so it will adjust to the aftermarket suspension?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:22 PM

I've been witness to about 10 coil/spring installs and none of them we needed to adjust anything BUT that doesn't mean you don't. Might be worth it to just loosen up the sway and tighten it up.

Quick Reply: coilovers making a popping noise