Tennessee S2000 Owners Tennessee - The Volunteer State.

Clutch Rattle (or Buzz)

Old 04-08-2004, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch Rattle (or Buzz)

Anyone local have / had the problem? Any luck getting a local Honda service department to fix it under the TSB?

I was looking to see if someone posted a WAV or MP3 of the noise to be sure that is what I have - but if someone in the area has been through this I could come pick you up and take you for a ride so you could verify the sound.

Thanks!
Dennis
Old 04-08-2004, 05:44 AM

BTW, the original owner of my car purchased it in July of 01 - so the car should be under the normal factory warranty and be eligible for the "free" TSB work. I did get the long extended warranty as well, but reading the TSB it looks like that would not be covered under that.

Dennis
Old 04-08-2004, 05:57 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have Honda Care? Because they will fix it, they have to fix TSB's. I have clutch buzz too, but then again my clutch isn't stock, the previous owner left the car untouched minus a nice clutch, but had a dealer install it. I don't think they used a new throw out bearing or something because mine buzzes. For me, its nothing threatening due to I know my clutch plate and pressure plate are working great.

The TSB should be on deccelaration it buzzes when engine braking. If that's what yours is doing.....then yep, you got the problem. I would definately go talk to Trickett Honda in Rivergate or maybe try Acura. I've heard Acura dealerships tend to treat the customers better.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by DWynne
BTW, the original owner of my car purchased it in July of 01 - so the car should be under the normal factory warranty and be eligible for the "free" TSB work. I did get the long extended warranty as well, but reading the TSB it looks like that would not be covered under that.

Dennis
Service Bulletin 00-054: Buzzing From the Engine or Transmission While Decelerating
By Erik Petersen on 28/10/2003 01:10 pm

Last modified by Erik Petersen on 28/10/2003 02:05 pm

While decelerating in 3rd or 2nd gear, a buzzing or rattling comes from the engine or transmission between 4,000 and 3,000 rpm. This noise sounds similar to a heat shield rattle, and it goes away if you press lightly on the accelerator pedal or disengage the clutch.

A00-054.pdf 55.35 kB

Service Bulletin 00-054: Buzzing From the Engine or Transmission While Decelerating

Yes they should fix it if your car is under warranty or has the extended warranty. I am taking mine to Crest Honda in Nashville for the same thing whenever my car gets finished. They had no problems warranty the work either being since it is a TSB.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:52 AM

I have been taking the car to Waltrip in Franklin. In addition to being a huge DW fan (we used to go watch him when he was the fairgrounds track champion when I was a kid) a guy in the service department was a HUGE help to me when I was looking for a used S2000. I would call him with a bunch of VIN numbers and he would check the in-service dates, recalls, look for flags, and check on HondaCare for me. I bet he did this 20 times for me until I found the "right car".

Yep, I have the HondaCare extended warranty (7 yr, 75k, $0 deductible). It does not cover clutch parts, however.

Dennis
Old 04-08-2004, 06:54 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It should cover TSB's though, which regardless of what it is, TSB's are warranty work, don't let them tell you otherwise.
Old 04-08-2004, 04:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, these guys should cover the TSB's. My car is out of warrenty so I drove up to Ganely and had mine done about a month ago.

The catch is that I do not trust any of the dealerships in the area with my car. Especially after talking to the guys in the shop. If anyone can convince me otherwise please feel free. But I wouldnt dream of letting them approach my car for something like the clutch work.

Keep calling around though. These dealerships should be doing the TSB's I know for a fact that Waltrip knows about the TSB because they pulled in on my car when they diagnosed the rattle.

If you want me to listen to the rattle I could easily let you know if it is the clutch springs.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:17 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Dark_Sub_Rosa
Do you have Honda Care? Because they will fix it, they have to fix TSB's.

Thought I'd chime in and clarify a little. TSB's do not have to be fixed - some TSB's you don't always want fixed! The Second Gear Grind is one that can cause you more agony after it is "fixed", but the engine/clutch buzz is one that should be a true "all is better now". I learned the hard way (as I am a Honda Dealer) trying to get some TSB's taken care of for Ricosuave that the Honda Care Warranty doesn't cover TSB's. The Honda Care Warranty is basically a really awesome Powertrain Warranty. If you don't get your TSB's taken care of within the first 3 years or 36,000 miles, you're going to have to put up a fight

Here is the actual TSB for the "clutch/engine buzz":

There are a few more in my photo album, if you need them - they may be hard to see without enlarging.