Tampa Gulf coast and surrounding areas...there be pirates here!!

Road Trip! Indy 500 May 2011

Old 12-23-2010, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thraak,Dec 23 2010, 09:29 AM
Yeah, they sent me a "Holiday Wishes" email with that picture. From what I hear, camping lot #2 is the first to fill up so I wanted to act fast so I bought my tent site back on the 10th of Dec.

I ordered the calendar and 4 window decals at the same time. They mailed it out using UPS/USPS mail innovations. UPS picked up the souvenirs on the 10th, it went to Ohio, Orlando, Jacksonville and out to California the last time I checked. On Monday I called Indy and they apologized and sent another package out that day at no charge. (straight UPS) and I received it yesterday.

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the big race. I've never been to Indy. It will cost $190 roundtrip to fly or about $400 to drive it.

I'm looking forward to the drive.

David

Just checked, original souvenir package arrived back in Jacksonville this morning.
David,

I have a parking pass for lot #2 I get with my tickets every year. The access to this lot is off Georgetown Road which runs parallel to the main straightaway or from the rear thru residential neighborhoods. I go thru the neighborhoods as traffic on Georgetown on race day is impossible to bet thru.

The parking is in the back of the lot (western side) with camping up front toward Georgetown Road. If you camp there you will have a great spot to view the sights and easy access into the track. The lot takes a while to empty after the race but it is a premium spot so it's worth it in my opinion.

Depending on how many go I will be scoping out a hotel probably on the Southside of Indy. If you are dead set on camping have at it but don't expect to get any sleep the night before, G'town road and 16th street is a giant party Saturday night. They usually measure how good the party is my the number of arrests!!

Sounds like you are set on driving up, GOOD! Let’s get a few more to make it a great caravan and I will begin working on other activities etc.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Okay...Now it's official. Just ordered my ticket.

NW Vista section-1 row-R

David
Old 04-09-2011, 12:51 AM

Ok so at this point NOTHING is planned for the S2K group, the gentleman who runs the GP of Alabama (Mugenrios2k, Mark) is working with Indycar on something for Indianapolis although at this stage no one (including Mark) knows if or what that might be.

I seriously doubt it will involve any on track activities or parade events because in my discussions with the 500 festival folks they were keen on using us for some of their parade partiicipants however they are under a contractural obligation to use GM products because of the IMS's use of GM products for all pace car activities.

I suspect we may have a car corall at best or nothing at all as far as an organized event for S2K's. Hopefully we will learn more before the weekend is over but that is where we stand right now.

That said it is still THE BEST INDYCAR RACE YOU WILL ATTEND, PERIOD!

I know several of you have said you want to make the trip regardless so at this stage I WILL be attending, (like I do every year) the only question for me is do I drive the S or do I fly. The answer to that question depends on wether anyone wants to go from the Tampa Bay are and drive their S.

We Have arrived at the point where we need to make some decisions, many of you have said you want to go or you would go, well I need to know if you are in or out so we can make some decisions and get some logistics worked out. (tickets, rooms, driving or flying, etc.)

Again I am going so who is with me?

Please post up your intentions, I will make a list then together we can decide what to do. For the record if we drive the S's we would depart Thursday AM May may 26th drive straight thru to Indy, Friday is Carb Day at the track, Saturday is a fun day, parade day, re-coop day from the drive up, Sunday is Race Day, & Monday is drive home day.

Let me know if you are in, at what level of commitment (100%, 75%, etc) and if you want to drive the S or fly.

thanks, Barry
Old 04-09-2011, 04:38 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I cant make this one Barry. Piper and i booked a cruise but hopefully next year
Old 04-09-2011, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In
Old 05-24-2011, 07:11 PM

Can't sleep....Got Indy on my mind. The S is all packed and will be leaving on the 1,000 mile journey in the morning. Should make it to Chattanooga or Nashville by Wed. evening and then the track by Thursday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday's forecast is shaping up nicely! Okay, going to try again to get some sleep.

Thraak
Old 05-25-2011, 04:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thraak
Can't sleep....Got Indy on my mind. The S is all packed and will be leaving on the 1,000 mile journey in the morning. Should make it to Chattanooga or Nashville by Wed. evening and then the track by Thursday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday's forecast is shaping up nicely! Okay, going to try again to get some sleep.

Thraak
Safe trip sir! Indyana and I are heading out early Thursday AM in his newly aquired Pilot so we be travelin' luxury style. Indy I can't thank you enough sir. I went to bed like 3AM and got back up at 5 this morning...so excited...can't sleep.

Have been watching all the past Indy races on ESPN Classis the last few days and I am even more stoked thtan normal. Indy is always a big deal for me to watch...ALWAYS.

Thraak...maybe we will run into you up there and have an Indy toast or two. Maybe the Hoosier 100? That would be awesome. 1983 Indy 500 coming on now...gotta go!
Old 05-25-2011, 04:52 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have fun y'all. Wish i was headed up too
Old 05-25-2011, 10:48 AM

LOL @ John, you may not make it the whole weekend, gotta pace yourself

So many choices for the "support events", the Hoosier 100 is at the State Fairgrounds friday evening and Saturday night they have midgets racing at IRP (oops, make that Lucas Oil Raceway Park) and also the Little 500 in Anderson but they also have racing at Speedrome" with a 100 lap figure 8 feature race. We used to go there when I was a kid growing up, figure 8 racing is insane.

Check out the Speedrome Figure 8 Racing: Speedrome

Here is a sample of the Hoosier 100 which is run at the Indiana State Fairgrounds 1 mile dirt track: Hoosier 100 1st Lap

While we are at it here is a sample of the Little 500 in Anderson Indiana: Little 500

Here is the Night before the 500 at Lucas Oil Raceway Park: Night before the 500

While we are at it the big event, start of the Indy 500 from turn 1: Indy

I have been to every event at one time or another, the Little 500 in Anderson is a good race but the facility is a dump and the drive is 3 hours round trip so I am not a big fan of it. Speedrome is not a great facility but decent, the racing is straight red neck saturday night local short track. The Hoosier 100 is run on the same track they run the Horses on. 1 mile dirt and it is OK although I am not a big fan of dirt racing. I appreciate the talent it takes but it just doesn't interest me as much as a sprint car on pavement.

The Lucas Oil Park facility is hands down the best venue and some of the best racing. This is an oval on the grounds of the same facility where they Run the US Nationals NHRA Drag Racing event. It also has a really nice road course which I have raced on several times back in my SCCA days in a Club Ford. I have also driven a Sprint Car on the Oval for a few laps, scared the crap out of me!!

Then you have the "Big Track", I get goose bumps watching the video, if you haven't been you probably don't understand but John can tell ya next week once he experiences it.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:32 PM

OMFG....Been here for an hour and alrready know where i'll be next year... I know... pace yourself...pace yourself. p.s. The onsite tent site is an awesome way to go....so far!

Quick Reply: Road Trip! Indy 500 May 2011