Tampa Gulf coast and surrounding areas...there be pirates here!!

Old 06-22-2009, 04:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member

Well our wait finally came to an end on Friday. My wife(LittleBlueS2) and I picked up a 07 Laguna Blue S2k. Its a 1 owner and the original owner was an old dude who traded it in for a Sebring lol

Pic

(thats my lil bro in the pic)

I'd like to change the oil this weekend and I wanted to get some opinions from you all. Whats the usual concensus on what oil is best? (dino, synthetic?) What weight is best for this hot FL weather? Are Honda oil filters the best to use? and how many quarts does a change take?
Old 06-22-2009, 04:45 AM

Welcome and congrats on the new S! As for the oil change STOP! How many miles does the S have on it? The first oil change should be around 4,500 - 7,200 or something like that; look at the owner
Old 06-22-2009, 05:02 AM

oops, sorry, I forgot that important tidbit. Mileage is 33k, car is telling me 50% oil life but I'd like to have a fresh start....
Old 06-22-2009, 05:13 AM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice car welcome
I use Mobil 1 10/30 as well as a Mobil 1 filter. Elroy is right on, using Amsoil, Amsoil is great stuff
Old 06-22-2009, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by evil s2k,Jun 22 2009, 09:02 AM
oops, sorry, I forgot that important tidbit. Mileage is 33k, car is telling me 50% oil life but I'd like to have a fresh start....
Ya - you're way safe for syn! Just pick a quality brand and if you want indipendant information outside of here, hit the S200 Under The Hood forum and you will get a varity likes and dislikes with links to actual tests.

J
Old 06-22-2009, 05:38 AM

Welcome from one of the "Old Guys" (we will get back to that in a little bit). I use Honder (Honda) oil & filter from the dealer every 3000 miles. Most people who use synthetic swear by Mobil 1 however I have always heard that if you are going to switch to synthetic oil you shoul do it early in the life of the car (3K to 9K).

I am sure you will get a lot of different answers to this question however I think the most important thing is the frequency of oil changes that mattters most. I do mine every 3K even though the dealer tells me I could go to every 5K. The key is checking your oil frequently as well. I have an AP1 (MY 2000 to 2003, AP2 MY 2004 to 2009) which is noted for burning oil, at 40K miles mine does not but it is something the AP1 is noted for.

Even the AP2 will burn oil when driven hard in Vtec for an extended period of time (Dragon trip or an AutoX) so just keep an eye on it.

I assume when you say your car was driven ay an "Old Guy" you are taking comfort in that because he is "Old" he didn't drive it hard...........Bwhaaaaaaa.....................I suppose it's possible

Congratulations on the S now you can find out the best part of owning it by coming out to a meet and getting to know the local crowd of great S owners. We have one of the best communities going with great people and fun events. We have a meet this Thursday at the Brandon Hooters & we have a 4th of July Parade we need cars for so welcome and I look forward to meeting you & the wife soon.

Ps. Have you found the secret compartment yet?

Pss. Warning, coming out to a meet will be expensive...........seeing everyones car and the Mods they have will set you off on a path that will drain your bank accounts and leave you in an never ending quest to mod your S.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Indyana,Jun 22 2009, 09:38 AM
Pss. Warning, coming out to a meet will be expensive...........seeing everyones car and the Mods they have will set you off on a path that will drain your bank accounts and leave you in an never ending quest to mod your S.
NO SHIP!

It's all Eric's fault!

And James!

And Jeff's!

And Bobby's!

And Oscar Jr's!

And and well you all get the point...

J
Old 06-22-2009, 05:51 AM

Joe you are one of the most qualified to comment on this subject
Old 06-22-2009, 06:20 AM

lol thanks for the welcome guys. We'll definitely make it out to a meet soon

I was thinking of using Mobil1 as I've always ran that in my Mazdaspeed Protege and liek it a lot hmmm I might have to look into it some more like you said.

Yes, I knew about the secret compartment since the first S we test drove hehe

oh, and the "old guy" was like 70s I think hahaha the dash has a lovely Brookstone compass to verify this....I need to take that off soon lol

tell me more about this parade
Old 06-22-2009, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by Indyana,Jun 22 2009, 09:38 AM
Oh great! He already has mod A.D.D. when it comes to the MazdaSpeed.

P.S. I'm Evil S2K's wife, Jennifer. Looking forward to coming out to some meets sometime soon.

Quick Reply: New member