Tampa Gulf coast and surrounding areas...there be pirates here!!

Need a little help with my door lock

Old 03-20-2009, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a little help with my door lock

somehow the tab on the lock button of the driver's side broke a looong time ago separating the metal lock/ unlock rod from the plastic lock/ unlock 'button', preventing me from using the lock/ unlock button from the inside on the driver's side. The key fob still worked, though. I didn't want to hastle with taking the door apart, but I finally got new speakers, and I figured since the door was taken apart, I might as well fix this as well.

I got the new handle from Honda and installed it, but the locking mechanism doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

The lock/ unlock button will not lock the door unless there is slight pressure on the 'open' handle, but this causes both doors to lock. I can do this from inside the car and by doing essentially the same thing from out side using the key and door handle.
...and although the key fob did not work initially (it would only lock the passenger side, but the jam would not permit the driver's door to lock), it has now come around and locks both doors again.

(so for all you thieves lurking in here, I CAN LOCK MY DOORS!!)

What I can't do is just use the lock/ unlock button to lock/unlock just the driver's side door. It feels like something is in the way, and does not have the fluid movement that the passenger side has.

I didn't like the looks of removing the locking mechanism since there is little room to even see what is going on back there, although I did shoot some video with a digital camera since I couldn't fit my big melon head in there, to see if I could figure it out, but to no avail.

Am I missing something, here? Is there something I need to do to move an actuator or lever or something that might be lock-blocking me?

Please help!!

Thank you in advance.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:59 AM

On my AP2, when I lock the driver-side, it will also lock the passenger. No way to lock one without locking the other.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks, but I still have the issue that I need to put pressure on the open handle to get the locking mechanism to engage, so it takes either two hands to do it, or some serious hand gymnastics.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you lubricate it with a light grease, Vaseline? Those part have to slide just right.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:56 AM

Part of the problem was I couldn't get my face in there to see what was going on, and even if i could get my hand in there, I wouldn't know where I was putting the grease. When I stuck my digital camera in there, it looked like the moving parts were on the far side of the lock assembly and the point where the open handle rods come into contact with the lock/ unlock parts appears to be behind a shroud of some sort.

I was curious to know if I had done something to prevent the normal operation of these parts and if that could be reversed by some crazy combination of actions.

Sounds like someone who knows how this works (Honda?) is going to have to futz with it.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:31 AM

Yeah, the dealer's probably a good bet. Don't go to Brandon Honda.
Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PENROD,Mar 20 2009, 07:55 AM
somehow the tab on the lock button of the driver's side broke a looong time ago separating the metal lock/ unlock rod from the plastic lock/ unlock 'button', preventing me from using the lock/ unlock button from the inside on the driver's side. The key fob still worked, though. I didn't want to hastle with taking the door apart, but I finally got new speakers, and I figured since the door was taken apart, I might as well fix this as well.

I got the new handle from Honda and installed it, but the locking mechanism doesn't seem to want to cooperate.

The lock/ unlock button will not lock the door unless there is slight pressure on the 'open' handle, but this causes both doors to lock. I can do this from inside the car and by doing essentially the same thing from out side using the key and door handle.
...and although the key fob did not work initially (it would only lock the passenger side, but the jam would not permit the driver's door to lock), it has now come around and locks both doors again.

(so for all you thieves lurking in here, I CAN LOCK MY DOORS!!)

What I can't do is just use the lock/ unlock button to lock/unlock just the driver's side door. It feels like something is in the way, and does not have the fluid movement that the passenger side has.

I didn't like the looks of removing the locking mechanism since there is little room to even see what is going on back there, although I did shoot some video with a digital camera since I couldn't fit my big melon head in there, to see if I could figure it out, but to no avail.

Am I missing something, here? Is there something I need to do to move an actuator or lever or something that might be lock-blocking me?

Please help!!

Thank you in advance.
ya might have reversed the direction of the rod to the locking mechanism, youll notce it has an adjustment on one end and a non adjustable end too. this is to adjust the length of the rod . All you should have to do is to take the plasic retainer off and turn that rod a half turn and this should hopefull resolve the issue
Old 03-20-2009, 05:59 PM

I hve replaced several door ahndles on Hondas from my Civics , Accords and other peoples cars too.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:46 AM

Thanks John, I was thinking it was something like that. When I picked up my car from S&R, Bobby let me use their little scope camera. If turning the rod doesn't work, I'll put the camera back there and see what I can find.

Just curious, which end is adjustable?
The one going to the locking tab at the interior door handle or the part going back to the actual locking mechanism inside the door?
Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM

I think the end that goes into the lock cylinder is just a 90 degree bend in the rod , It is not neccesary to remove the whole thing at both ends but just disconnect it like you did before and do a half turn . There was no issue before was there???

Quick Reply: Need a little help with my door lock