Tampa Gulf coast and surrounding areas...there be pirates here!!

Don Garlits Drag Racing Museum Meet

Old 09-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought Blacknot caused crashes like that by pushing newbs....
Old 09-25-2009, 01:40 PM

FYI Cosmo & I are meeting at the BP gas station on Hwy #301 accross form the State Fairgrounds (SE corner of the intersection of I-4 & Hwy #301) at 7:00AM to roll out to the Cracker for breakfast. If anyone wants to join us be there by 7:00 AM we will be leaving shortly after 7:00AM to drive the 43 miles to CB.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cetrian,Sep 25 2009, 10:18 AM
Guys now that it's the day before I am not ashamed to admit I am giddy with excitement like a little kid who gets to ride in a go kart for the first time.

I'm pretty sure when I bought the car, this kind of thing is what I had in mind.

That all said, I have a few questions:

With regard to tech: I have been looking for a good excuse to pick up a couple of two-way radios. What bands should I be looking at, so they are compatible with whatever radios y'all use?

Anyone else use Loopt on the iPhone? I could meet y'all on I-75 on the way up that way.

I'm going to change my oil this afternoon, and clean my black beauty - anything else I might want to do in advance?

Edit: what tire pressures do y'all use? I'm on standard AP1 sizes, Falkens in the front, Bridgestone's Pole Position's in the rear.
Radios

make sure you get the FRS/GMRS type. You will notice the differnce also spring for a headphone of some type as hearing the radio while driving is tough. I have used mortorolas for years and they seem to hold up well. I will have a couple extras with me tommorow if you do not want to springh for them tonight and see what you like first. I have bought mine and accesories here http://www.buytwowayradios.com

Please, since this your first group drive, take it easy. We don't want to see anyone get in over their heads.

Just a little fatherly advice
Old 09-25-2009, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Indyana,Sep 25 2009, 04:40 PM
FYI Cosmo & I are meeting at the BP gas station on Hwy #301 accross form the State Fairgrounds (SE corner of the intersection of I-4 & Hwy #301) at 7:00AM to roll out to the Cracker for breakfast. If anyone wants to join us be there by 7:00 AM we will be leaving shortly after 7:00AM to drive the 43 miles to CB.
7AM it is sir. Flying VFR.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:11 PM

I will be joining Cosmo and Indyana at the BP gas station in the morning at 7am.
Old 09-25-2009, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by ComposiMo,Sep 25 2009, 03:54 PM
Whatever you drive on the street normally... don't go do funky things with tire pressures, especially if its going to make your car handle different than what you are used to...

But bottom line.... remember, it is not a race... don't bother trying to impress anyone with your mad driving skillZ... in the past that has led to totaled cars. Just drive normally, enjoy yourself, and arrive safe
.......This is a Group Cruise ....not Group AutoX event. The track is where you hone your skills, not the beautiful contryside that I am going to expose you to.

Okay Ladies and Germs .............

I have laid out and.... road tested the route in which we will be taking tomorrow morning. It is by far one of the best I have ever put together. I sincerely hope that there will be no disappointments. We will see the most diversifed scenery that can be experienced in the state of Florida.

Cows
Horses
Camels
Farms
Tree sloped canopy's
Wide open pasture
Disformed Dinosaurs
Country Bumpkin Cemetery's
Narrow switchbacks
Hay Fields under harvest
200 foot elevation changes (I know, I know.....but this Florida .........)
Rubber Neckin' to the max
Etc.....etc.....etc.....etc......

Just be prepared to enjoy the ride. Our group is too big to try to enhance our driving skills and, this is not the environment to pretend to become so. Fast and Furious is pure Fiction. It ain't real !!!!! If this is what you are expecting, then stay home and play your carpel tunnel causing video games. The streets that we are driving are to be shared and enjoyed with a "tinge" of fun.....nothing more.

**For the record......the drive will be a solid 3 hours. For those that are planning to meet us at the Museum, please take your time as we will not be arriving before 12:00 PM at the earliest.

We leave promptly at 9:00 AM from the Cracker Barrel with full tanks already at capacity .................. You snooze; you lose .............

Scott

Old 09-25-2009, 09:42 PM

this sounds great - see y'all in a few hours. I think the lady doesn't want to go, though =[

edit: I have two kickass Motorola radios for someone else who doesn't have one.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:43 AM

Out the door. This is going to be fun
Old 09-26-2009, 03:46 AM

Running behind. Eta 0830-0845 to CB. Save a biscuit please

edit: that was great! Thanks Zacksdad and Indyana for organizing the drive.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:26 PM

agreed ^. great meet guys. thankyou Zacksdad for the group drive, it was awesome!

pics pics pics!!!

Quick Reply: Don Garlits Drag Racing Museum Meet