Tampa Gulf coast and surrounding areas...there be pirates here!!

Bearing Failure - Reminder to Double Check Part Numbers

Old 09-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bearing Failure - Reminder to Double Check Part Numbers

This post is somewhat laughable, and should serve as a reminder to double check all part numbers, regardless of how basic the job you're doing.

About 6 years ago, I had the typical clicking sound coming from my driver's side rear wheel which caused me to learn about the TSB on the axle nuts. When attempting to torque in accordance with the TSB, the spindle nut crossthreaded on the axle (my guess is bearing/hub had already walked). I disassembled the rear suspension and took the knuckle and axle to a friend's shop with air tools, so I could impact the nut off. Eventually this worked, and I had to source a new axle along with hub/bearing. I went down to my local Honda and ordered a new hub, bearing, 2 axle nuts, and sourced a used driver's side axle. Once the parts came in, I threw the part numbers in google to confirm, and went forward with getting the new bearings pressed in. Everything went smooth on the install and car was running again, click free.

Fast forward to the last couple weeks, and again the same bearing was failing. What I thought was tire road noise a few months ago, gradually got worse, and the car had a bad vibration above 55mph. Once again, I ordered a new Honda hub and bearing. I wasn't sure if I still had the extra axle nut I ordered previously, so I got another just in case. As before, all the parts came in and I confirmed online, all numbers were correct.

On Friday night, I removed the knuckle, but noticed something odd when I took off the axle nut. The nut that came off looked different when compared to the new one I ordered. Initially I thought Honda may have revised the nut design the last few years due to the TSB, as the inside mating surface of the new nut was much smaller. On my way to NAPA to get the bearings pressed in, I stopped by Honda and brought both nuts. Turns out the first time I did the bearing replacement, the parts guy ordered the FRONT axle nut on accident, which I installed on the REAR. Typically I would have caught this on the first install, but since I didn't have the old nut to compare to, I didn't notice. Plus, when I googled the part number back then to confirm it was correct, I probably just saw "HONDA SPINDLE NUT" and took it for granted that it was the rear, after all that's the one I ordered.

Needless to say, next time I confirm part numbers I'll go to Majestic's site.

In case anybody wants photos for reference of the bearing failure, below are pics. Again, this bearing had a very audible sound at low speed, and anything above 55mph was undriveable due to vibration. Looking at the hub, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be given the noise it was making at highway speeds. Total miles driven with incorrect nut installed? Probably ~45k.