Sponsor S2000 Exterior and S2000 Interior Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 Body and S2000 Interior accessories

Forbidden-USA OFFICIAL OEM Style Hardtop

Old 08-25-2013 | 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aeonracer
Update on my problem. Looks like the paint under the window began to crack / flake, and as a result the entire top of the window has come off the hardtop. This likely could have been avoided had the bonded portion of the window not been applied directly to the paint (i.e. if they had masked off the inner rim of the hardtop where the window sits). The bottom (not painted) is still firmly attached. I am having it fixed on my own dime on Monday, but needless to say its frustrating / disappointing that less than a year later a problem like this is presenting itself. I don't abuse my stuff, and I certainly don't understand how I could have abused the rear window on the hardtop anyway. Just a lack of attention to detail, really.

Beware if you are buying your top from Forbidden and are having them paint it / install the window. Special precaution needs to be taken prior to installing the window and painting the tops, to ensure you all don't run into the same issue as me. I'd recommend you request the portion where the window is bonded does not get painted so that the adhesive has an unpainted surface to bond to.
Maybe you should have tried contacting us about a solution?? Please PM us or call us to get this fix for you.

Just to clarify to everyone, we do not install any windows ourselves at Forbidden-USA. We have a professional window company install all of our windows prior to shipping which these guys insure any work they do for us. This window company has installed over 150+ OEM top windows and over 350+ mugen windows over the past 4 years.

Also, when a top goes to paint and it goes in for window install, we do not just stick glue and place the window. The window and the hardtop get prepped. Prep stage includes sanding and priming the window and the area where the window sits.

Mistakes do happen and here at Forbidden-USA, we have never turned our back and not helped a customer out.

Thanks,

Alberto
Old 08-25-2013 | 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM'd
Old 08-25-2013 | 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does your top go for? I can pick up this top I live in long beach
Old 08-26-2013 | 10:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spyder562
Mistakes do happen and here at Forbidden-USA, we have never turned our back and not helped a customer out.

Thanks,

Alberto
Alberto stood behind his product and remedied the situation, despite no implied or guaranteed warranty. Thanks Alberto, it definitely says a lot about you and your company. I got the window fixed this morning, and don't expect any further issues.

I reiterate my recommendation on the solution to this problem. The mounting surface for the window needs to be either masked off or heavily scuffed to remove the excess paint. The debond of the window was a 100% paint adhesion problem, and not a window adhesive failure. The window adhesive simply cracked and pulled off the paint from the hardtop. I'm working with Alberto to implement this fix into his future orders, so you all should get a better product in the future.
Old 08-31-2013 | 07:28 PM

Old 09-12-2013 | 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

I have 2 carbon fiber OEM tops in stock

FRP tops are no longer on back ordered.

We are still having our free shipping sale. At checkout, enter "freeship-ht" to get a credit of -$250.
Old 09-12-2013 | 12:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spyder562
Originally Posted by aeonracer' timestamp='1377387500' post='22743104
Update on my problem. Looks like the paint under the window began to crack / flake, and as a result the entire top of the window has come off the hardtop. This likely could have been avoided had the bonded portion of the window not been applied directly to the paint (i.e. if they had masked off the inner rim of the hardtop where the window sits). The bottom (not painted) is still firmly attached. I am having it fixed on my own dime on Monday, but needless to say its frustrating / disappointing that less than a year later a problem like this is presenting itself. I don't abuse my stuff, and I certainly don't understand how I could have abused the rear window on the hardtop anyway. Just a lack of attention to detail, really.

Beware if you are buying your top from Forbidden and are having them paint it / install the window. Special precaution needs to be taken prior to installing the window and painting the tops, to ensure you all don't run into the same issue as me. I'd recommend you request the portion where the window is bonded does not get painted so that the adhesive has an unpainted surface to bond to.
Maybe you should have tried contacting us about a solution?? Please PM us or call us to get this fix for you.

Just to clarify to everyone, we do not install any windows ourselves at Forbidden-USA. We have a professional window company install all of our windows prior to shipping which these guys insure any work they do for us. This window company has installed over 150+ OEM top windows and over 350+ mugen windows over the past 4 years.

Also, when a top goes to paint and it goes in for window install, we do not just stick glue and place the window. The window and the hardtop get prepped. Prep stage includes sanding and priming the window and the area where the window sits.

Thanks,

Alberto
Old 09-27-2013 | 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aeonracer
Originally Posted by spyder562' timestamp='1377465161' post='22744118

Thanks,

Alberto
Alberto stood behind his product and remedied the situation, despite no implied or guaranteed warranty. Thanks Alberto, it definitely says a lot about you and your company. I got the window fixed this morning, and don't expect any further issues.

I reiterate my recommendation on the solution to this problem. The mounting surface for the window needs to be either masked off or heavily scuffed to remove the excess paint. The debond of the window was a 100% paint adhesion problem, and not a window adhesive failure. The window adhesive simply cracked and pulled off the paint from the hardtop. I'm working with Alberto to implement this fix into his future orders, so you all should get a better product in the future.
Glad we could work everything out.

Alberto
Old 10-05-2013 | 06:45 AM

i am trying to install the hardtop and can't seem to get the side panels to fit back in place after installing the side catchers. I tried both angles and panels won't fit properly. Any suggestion? thanks.

*never mind, i figured it out. haha
Old 10-06-2013 | 11:49 AM

[/quote]

Thanks,

Alberto
[/quote]

Alberto, contacting you in regards to an issue with my hardtop.

Quick Reply: Forbidden-USA OFFICIAL OEM Style Hardtop