Sponsor S2000 Engine and S2000 Drivetrain Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 engine and S2000 drivetrain products

URGE designs Fluidampr

Old 09-26-2021, 07:51 PM
Sponsor
Gold Member (Premium)Member (Premium)Vendor - Starter Primary

Received 53 Likes on 44 Posts
Default URGE designs Fluidampr

Back in 2012, we worked with Fluidampr to develop a better crank damper for the S2000.

Inline fours have a secondary imbalance due to their layout and firing order creating a harmonic vibrations
The S2000 has no balance shaft so vibrations tend to be worse than other inline fours and increase exponentially past 7000 RPM increasing wear on valvetrain and bearings.
Crank dampers are critical to dampen out harmonic vibrations caused by the combustion process that bends the crankshaft by fractions of degree each firing event.

The OEM crank damper use a heavy steel inertia ring, bonded by rubber orings to the crank hub to counteract the vibrations.
However, limited by these rubber rings, they are tuned to a narrow RPM range.
Like other rubber S2000 parts, such as bushings and hoses, the rubber will degrade due to heat and stress reducing its effectiveness.

Fluidamper is an innovative twist on the crank damper by inclosing the inertia ring in housing filled with silicone fluid.
The silonce fluid has a much longer service life than rubber as fluidamprs are used in long haul trucking engines that run for hundreds of thousands of miles.

By inclosing the inertia ring to move freely it increases the damping capability and over a wider range of vibrations, providing a smoother running engine reducing overall wear.
Below is a vibrometer reading provided by one of our customers comparing the OEM crank damper on the left to the S2000 Fluidampr on the right.
The fluidampr is almost 2 orders of magnitude smoother than the OEM crank damper!!

Please read our full story up on our site.
We have even seen small power gains likely due to the reduced vibrations and the inertia ring not being bonded to the hub, reducing rotating weight.

Please email urgedesigns(at)gmail.com for questions or orders.

Last edited by Urge; 07-27-2024 at 10:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Jarvis (10-02-2021)
Old 10-01-2021, 07:18 PM

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Bought one and it arrived super quick, can not wait to install it!

​​​​​Exit:
I installed the Fluidampr two weeks after it arrived and WOW! My AP1 has new OEM engine mounts and a Ingalls ETD so NVH was already low but this made it really low. The engine feels better at 7k+ rpm even with my Karcepts EMU.
With the 8k miles I have put on the car it's been nothing but a pleasure
Old 11-04-2021, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does this work with the Comptech supercharger?
Old 11-04-2021, 04:13 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 142 Likes on 113 Posts

I have used these on several vehicles, to include my S2000. It's a must for me, for any car I plan to keep.
Old 11-05-2021, 09:28 AM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by hafftrak
Does this work with the Comptech supercharger?
I belive the Comptech supercharger has a front drive pulley attached the OEM crank damper, correct?
If so, it will not fit with out modification as fluidmpr is wider than OEM. A custom drive pulley is likely needed.

The only SC I believe would work is the Kraftwerks as it driven via a longer belt using the OEM diameter drive pulley.
The Fluidampr is the same diameter as OEM, unlike other dampers so it should work there.

URGE

Spaceman2345 (08-23-2022)
Old 12-14-2021, 09:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My review after 500mi.

So I ordered the Fluidampr from Patrick, & the guys at Urge Designs on a Thursday, & it arrived the following Tuesday.

Finally got around to installing it (along with my clutch/flywheel). And holy shit, on these 85A poly mounts everything feels like it’s on close to stock mounts (in terms of the lack of dense vibrations).

After initially running the 85A poly mounts with the stock harmonic balancer the car would vibrates violently below 3000 rpm (due to the lack of balance shafts), & as much as I like a free full-body massage, it would make pulling away from a stop at 1500-2000rpm near impossible without stalling so I had to adjust to blip the throttle up to around 2500-3000rpm to pull away smoothly. Some minor vibrations would persist up to about 4500rpm before I wound the car out to redline at which point it all felt extremely stable but less usable on the street in the lower rev range.

Now with the Fluidampr, the car no longer vibrates as heavily (minor vibrations are still present, but heartily welcomed in comparison) & has brought my pull-away back down to the 1500-2000rpm zone.

Due to the lack of harsh vibrations I can cruise at about 2500-3000rpm in 6th around town comfortably again.

I'd say it's definitely worth every penny.

Relevant info:
MY:2000, which sees a fair amount of daily use, & the occasional autocross.
-Innovative Mounts 85A poly billet mount set (engine, tranny, & diff)
-SOS Sport325 w/ 8.5lb flywheel.
shrykhar (06-26-2022)
Old 10-09-2022, 02:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

i didn't know you guys pioneered it, glad to have one on my car!
Old 12-20-2022, 12:27 PM

Member (Premium)

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

How do these stack up to the ATI super dampers? I know they both do the same thing but through different modalities. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2022, 08:09 PM
Sponsor

Originally Posted by R00567
How do these stack up to the ATI super dampers? I know they both do the same thing but through different modalities. Thanks.
Great question..

The main difference in design is that Fluidampr uses a metal weight suspended in enclosed silicone fluid to dampen vibrations vs 2-3 rubber bands on the ATI.
The fluid does not wear out over time and heat like the rubber bands and the weight dampens over much wider ranges and to a greater degree.
If you note on our site, one of our customers measured the Fluidampr vs OEM and the vibrations were almost 2 orders of magnitude (100X) less than OEM.
IMO, that is not acheivable using the similar rubber design as OEM.
Finally the Fluidampr is OEM diameter so all the accessories run as designed. ATI has overdrive street or underdrive race. The Overdrive will reduce HP as it is overdriving the accessories. The underdrive will gain some HP, but you might have limited alternator or water flow.

I hope this answers your questions

URGE

Last edited by Urge; 04-14-2023 at 06:05 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 12:22 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Fluidampr provided some detailed data about their product for the FA20 (FRS/BRZ) which was shared in this thread, see post #8:

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show....php?p=2280212

Any chance you might have access to similar data from their s2000 product?

Quick Reply: URGE designs Fluidampr