Sponsor S2000 Engine and S2000 Drivetrain Deals Sponsor deals on S2000 engine and S2000 drivetrain products

SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler Kit

Old 05-08-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well the reason why I dug deeper, was I noticed it was quite longer for oil warmup once I had the oil cooler installed. I only added an additonal 10%/ 500ml of oil, and obviously with the cooler core doin it's thing... I knew there was going to be slightly longer for oil warmup, but this was ages.. as an exmaple in street driving, aka start/stop in australia I get up to 90C in about 10 minutes of regular driving. Now as a comparison, it took me a solid 25-30minutes of driving with constant redline just to get up to temp...... that is a massive difference in itself which is why I dug so deep with the research!
Old 05-09-2016, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you know about operation of Mishimoto Thermostatic Oil Sandwich Plate ? In their web they say that thermostat can be changed with a 160°F (71°C) or 200°F (93°C) unit, adding unparalleled control over your desired engine oil operating temperature.
http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-t...uctdescription

http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-s...degc-200f.html
Old 05-09-2016, 12:37 AM

It has good placement much like the greddy of the thermostat.

Can only see one provision for a sensor...
Old 05-09-2016, 02:19 AM

Originally Posted by plAythiNG
It has good placement much like the greddy of the thermostat.

Can only see one provision for a sensor...
Then:
Mocal has bad thermostat system.
Greddy has only 180F thermostat, no 200F. It has good system and two ports por two sensors.
Mishimoto has a 200F thermostat and good system, but has only one port for one sensor.

Is it not exit a complet oil sandwich plate thermostatic?
Old 05-09-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I disagree that the Mocal has a "bad" thermostat system, in my experience with a very similar setup to the SakeBomb kit.

I've got a 200F Mocal Plate, 19 row Setrab cooler, and it's custom mounted in the grill opening. With the temp sensor in the hot side oil cooler line, I see 180F+ on highway driving with the oil cooler uncovered on an 85F day. I've covered the cooler with a cardboard box (Amazon Prime FTW), and saw very little difference in operating temps at highway speeds. The bottom of our pans provide exceptional cooling, especially on the highway when the car is under very little load. Getting the oil up to temp seems to be pretty similar when covered/uncovered. This was not a scientific experiment, but more for me to ensure the plate was working as designed, which it appears to be.
I also have a dual-pass radiator that keeps the water temps basically at the thermostat temp, which will help keep oil temps down. I still have the OEM oil cooler/heater in place.
I did an oil analysis on my last change with zero water in the oil sample, which means the oil is still getting plenty well up to temp in street driving.

Read around, most people recommend the Mocal plate on multiple platforms.
Old 05-09-2016, 06:27 AM

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

I installed the Sake Bomb oil cooler with 200F thermostat this past winter. I don't have an oil temp sensor but at previous track days in the summer measured the sump temp using an IR gauge in the pits to be in the 220 deg range so figured it was worth adding for insurance.

I noticed that I could drive around my neighborhood for 15 minutes and when I returned to the garage, the oil cooler was noticeably warm. In that short time I would not have expected a 200F thermostat to have opened. The last oil cooler I installed on my 240Z used an Earl's sandwich plate and it didn't open until much closer to the advertised temp.
Old 05-09-2016, 07:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by plAythiNG
well the reason why I dug deeper, was I noticed it was quite longer for oil warmup once I had the oil cooler installed. I only added an additonal 10%/ 500ml of oil, and obviously with the cooler core doin it's thing... I knew there was going to be slightly longer for oil warmup, but this was ages.. as an exmaple in street driving, aka start/stop in australia I get up to 90C in about 10 minutes of regular driving. Now as a comparison, it took me a solid 25-30minutes of driving with constant redline just to get up to temp...... that is a massive difference in itself which is why I dug so deep with the research!
Redlining on cold oil? That's wise. I have the Mocal and it takes about 10 minutes for mine to get to nominal operating temp, less if I get on the freeway. Sounds more like a defective unit than a design flaw.
Old 05-09-2016, 01:07 PM

Nice assumption... I've set my Defi warm up to keep on flashing to 70C... Just to get to this temp was already 15min off of driving so the oil was already u to near optimal temp... Why would I redline from cold and post up the detailed post...

Can't be a defective units when I tested the mocal unit had a functioning thermostat in boiling water with additional thermometers...

The general concensus that I noticed with fanboys of the mocal plate is either they don't run gauges (even after the oil cooler install), neglected to run gauges before oil cooler install, or completely missed doing any pre oil cooler install versus post oil cooler and ramp up on the mocal simply because they use it. Anyways I thought I provide my own experience with the mocal!

Good job with the cardboard cover! I have also said to other guys that a metal plate over the cooler core when using a mocal plate works well as I mentioned there is simply too much flow of oil passing through their sandwich plate.

Also it cannot be a defective product rather than design flaw, IMO you didn't read my post correctly for you to understand how the sandwich plate works, if you read it again, you will see the route in which hot oil travels, too much hot oil goes through the cooler core even below 180/200F on the mocal.!
Old 05-09-2016, 04:23 PM

plAythiNG, I may have missed it but where is your temp sensor located? I saw the fitting but wasn't sure where it is installed at?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:55 PM

After switching to the greddy, I am now running a temp sensor in each port of the greddy plate. Now I can read before and after oil cooler!!

I previously had it in the hot line off the mocal thermostat as per pics above.

I initially had it in the sump which was just way too volatile..... On the highway in massive rain I seen temps of 23C!!!

Quick Reply: SakeBomb Garage Oil Cooler Kit