Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Winter Storage Fluid replacement

Old 12-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter Storage Fluid replacement

I know this has been discussed many times and I have read through the forums and found some good posts on steps to take when winter storing your vehicle. Although some seem to say to change the oil, while others have changed oil, diff and tranny fluids.

What fluids have you guys/gals changed when storing your vehicle for the winter??

Thanks!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i change engine oil, diff and tranny before i store it. then change it within the first 2 weeks of driving it in the spring. I'm a bit anal like that. I also give her a good wash, cover her down, run a the a/c a bit and DC the battery.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:28 AM

Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

yeah im just gonna change the oil and filter and probably change the diff/tranny in the spring only since it needs it.

the oil for me is the big one since by products of the combustion process can contaminate the oil where as the diff/tranny doesnt have that. Im sure your car would still be fine leaving the old oil in it for storage. its just a nice piece of mind to have.

top off the tank, fill your tires more so they dont flatspot,clean the the car and give the leathers a nice coat of moisturizer,etc...
Old 12-06-2009, 12:04 AM

Hey Thanks for the feedback.

So far I have:

-Topped the tank
-detailed the interior including leather cleaner
-under body wash
-wash and wax the car
-soft top protectant
-Oil Change (used regular oil, don;t plan on driving it with that oil, will change it in the spring to synthetic & didn't get a new filter only cause it was only like 5k since the last oil change)
-moisture barrier down on the cement in the garage

Still need to do:

-Pump up the tires
-remove battery
-fuel stabalizer
-cover it up with my OEM cover

Ohhh, can't wait till spring!
Old 12-06-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure you have or put winter windshield washer fluid if you use summer stuff or you will be buying a washer bottle and motor in the spring ....
Old 12-06-2009, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Dec 6 2009, 07:59 AM
make sure you have or put winter windshield washer fluid if you use summer stuff or you will be buying a washer bottle and motor in the spring ....
Dam......good tip, I'll get the winter stuff in there.

Oh, and what about removing the spark plugs and throwing a little oil down there...seems like some folks do that....should I bother???

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by skhalid7,Dec 6 2009, 06:45 PM
Dam......good tip, I'll get the winter stuff in there.

Oh, and what about removing the spark plugs and throwing a little oil down there...seems like some folks do that....should I bother???

Thanks!
Its a bit overkill but it never hurts! If you have time or your bored you can do it...If not I wouldnt sweat it too much...Its not like your car is being stored for years....
Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM

has anyone had trouble storing N20 in the winter? i have a bottle that is full but i have no experience with it before so i want to make sure my garage doesn't explode on Christmas

and its not for the S, my friend gave me it after he got his car impounded for street racing. (i dont plan on using it)
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 PM

Bottles are for babies, real men get stroked and blown
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by o'malley_808,Dec 6 2009, 07:59 AM
so I put the winter fluid in and sprayed out the old stuff that was left in the resevoir......and I noticed that no low fluid warning came up when the tank was empty!!!! This kind of scared me, as all I could think of was that this car may have been in an accident and repaired but the sensor in the reservoir was not replaced.

Phew, did a little research and it seems that the U.S. Honda's don't have a low washer fluid warning. Can anyone confirm this??

Quick Reply: Winter Storage Fluid replacement