Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

Where to get my wheels refinish?

Old 11-18-2014, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where to get my wheels refinish?

I have heard of Carcone but their hours of business does not match my work schedule. I don't feel like taking half day off to get a quote/drop the wheels off then take another half day off to pick up the wheels when finished.

Any recommendation on which shop to get OEM AP2V1 wheels refinish? Also what is the going rate nowaday per wheel?
Old 11-18-2014, 08:27 PM

Metal coaters powdercoated a set of my OE 17inch wheels for the daily for $280. People have their opinions on powder coating but I've had these wheels for two years and the finish is pretty durable unless u smash a curb. I rashed one of them slightly and was able to wet sand the rash smooth and polish the wheel to be like new again where I sanded.

If you want them refinished like OE then between the spokes will have to be painted, and the faces have to be machined and the whole rim cleared. However in order to be machined the wheels have to be STRAIGHT any bend will not allow it to be machined properly. I had rims straightened and refinished/ machine by precision rim/curbed and the outcome was terrible and the rim they "repaired" aka cut and re welded to make it straight again would not hold air for more then a week until flat without even being on the car. My advice unless they are truly f@#ked leave them as they are or pay big money to have mint OE wheels.
Old 11-19-2014, 06:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it just for cosmetics or repair?
If you are considering powder coating ask the shop a lot of questions if you are picky. How do they strip the wheels? Do they hang the wheels or bake them on racks? (Racks leave ugly marks on the back of the wheels) Do they coat the barrel too? What temperature do they back them at? Do they mask the rear hub? etc.

Painting is pretty straight forward. JFUSION can chime in on that subject I believe as he got a set or two redone.

I don't know of any good shops myself, sorry.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Apparently the key to powder coating aluminum rims are to bake them at a low temperature for longer. A lot of these places won't do that as it takes time, time = money.

When you start to heat aluminum to a high heat and begins to affect the rigidity of the metal (hearsay, third party). A lot of debate on this, whether or not it has any significant impact, what temperature to heat it at safely, etc.

Also fixing a scratch on a powder coated rim requires more effort (if you can even do it).

Also I've heard of people complain about what a PITA it is to clean the brake dust if you track the car.

My personal 2cents is to paint the rims and finish with clear. 5-7 years down the road, paint them again. If you take care of the rims, durability on the finish is a non-issue.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:36 AM

I recently bought 2 OEM rear wheels, they will be going on the car next Spring. But the condition of the wheels are quite bad (curb rash on the entire wheel), my front wheels are mint so I want to have the rear wheels refinish (not powder-coat) to make them matches.

I want to avoid powder-coating or paint the wheels. I want to keep it OEM looking as much as I can.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:52 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Try calling these guys for a quote.

http://www.mobilewheelrepair.ca/#!
Old 11-19-2014, 02:24 PM
Spotter
Community Organizer

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by iamfob
I recently bought 2 OEM rear wheels, they will be going on the car next Spring. But the condition of the wheels are quite bad (curb rash on the entire wheel), my front wheels are mint so I want to have the rear wheels refinish (not powder-coat) to make them matches.

I want to avoid powder-coating or paint the wheels. I want to keep it OEM looking as much as I can.
Totally confused. How do you refinish a wheel without painting or PC the wheel? just confused
Old 11-21-2014, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do you refinish a wheel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-iCWDc7VI
Old 11-21-2014, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kryptonite
Originally Posted by iamfob' timestamp='1416422164' post='23411115

Totally confused. How do you refinish a wheel without painting or PC the wheel? just confused
He's looking to get the face of the wheels machined like oem and then clear coated. The wheels between the spokes most likely don't need to be repainted.

iamfob, I'd would expect to pay $150 per wheel at least and find time to take the wheels off and bring them to Carcones. They get a lot of body shop and dealer work subcontracted to them.