Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

When should you stop bothering you people? (RIMJOB.......)

Old 02-23-2004, 02:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When should you stop following up?? (RIM.......)

As you all know my last interview was on the 5th (thursday) of February. (3h total, one of which I spent with the VP of sales)

Anyhow I sent a thank you follow up the day after with no response.

Then just over one week later on the 16th of February I sent another (touch base) follow-up with Vince's suggestion of what to say. Still no reply but the sales manager did call my references 2 days later on the 18th (wednesday). Two of people I talked to on my reference list were thinking I had the position landed.

I'm wondering if a call is in order? Or perhaps another e-mail follow-up since they do prefer to communicate by email at RIM.

I swear this waiting is pissing me off.

Any suggestions/advice??
Old 02-23-2004, 04:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep looking and if something else comes up in the meantime make sure that you give them a heads up.

Other than that give them a call every few weeks and ask where they are in the process.... ask if you'd be able to come by again...

Bend over?
Old 02-23-2004, 04:10 PM

Have you filed for pogey yet? heh
Old 02-23-2004, 04:13 PM
Banned

I do have another in the same process. But I'd rather the job at RIM over them.
Old 02-23-2004, 04:22 PM

Keep at it, its only been a few weeks.

The HR process takes a lot of time to onboard so keep yourself in play.

I'd be in their face at least once a week. If they don't commit to an offer in a couple of weeks though, make a reference to other offers..think about it before you do it.

Unlike how you got out of your last job...ya tool
Old 02-23-2004, 04:47 PM
Banned

That's what I figure. Once a week to show interest and initiative. Plus that company is hiring like mad so if sales is not pushing OD then it could take a while.

Can you see a company let you meet the VP, spend 6h of their time to interview me AND call my references if they weren't going to hire me?

I have heard some companies take long to try and make you sweat so you take their first offer.

Leaving sonic was inevitable, so I really had no choice there. They were downsizing, demoting people who's been there for 15 years +. I wanted to go out on my own terms so I started saving 4 months back so I could quit to look for a job.

My last follow-up was
"I just wanted to touch base and follow up to the interview we had the other week. I look forward to bringing my abilities to the team and know my personal goals are in line with the corporate outlook at RIM."
Look familiar

So should I keep spitting out crap on how I will be good to the company? Or just send a simple "how the are ya, when do I start?" follow-up?
Old 02-23-2004, 05:09 PM
Former Moderator

Stop sending the crap you read in books about how to get a job, companies don't want pions, they want dynamic people with personality..

You know the name of the person?

Say...

Hi Jeff, I'm writing to see how things are coming along. As I'm sure you know, I look forward to working with RIM, if there is anything more I can offer during this process, please let me know. I will follow up with you soon.

Kind regards,

Jasonass

If I got form letter responses from every applicant, first I'd hurl, then forget who the hell I even wanted to hire, and pick the guy using the best font.
Old 02-23-2004, 05:14 PM

you should follow up only when some kind of pre-determined explicit or implicit deadline has passed. If you want to follow up because you are anxious, do it only scarcely, do not abuse. It's good to show interest but not desperation
Old 02-23-2004, 05:16 PM

Listen to Mike, or as he's known in the business world / womens rooms "King of Rejection"

sorry I just have to say TV tonight is a ing riot!

Back to what I was saying, don't kiss ass, just remind them you're still into it and waiting to figure out your next move.

I've shit canned a lot of people who went through this process after many interviews. Always someone better.

Man you are so screwed heh
Old 02-23-2004, 05:19 PM
Banned

That's why it's hard to decide when. Once a week? Every 2??

The job I took at Sonic was just filler. I knew it wasn't a career job. My plan was to stay there for about a year and move on.

This next job will be something I'll stay at for a while. Work my ASS off and possibly move to an engineering position to gain some experience weather it's RIM or anywhere else.

Quick Reply: When should you stop bothering you people? (RIMJOB.......)