Southern Ontario S2000 Owners Southern Ontario S2000 Owners forum including Toronto, Kitchener/Waterloo, Hamilton and surrounding area

US may trump Canada...

Old 06-23-2004, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by PLYRS 3
dude, long beach is prime!!!!

I'm not so sure.
Circuit length is only 1.97 miles and it is after all just a temporary street course. I would think Nabeel's suggestion of Laguna Seca to be more "appropriate" although I have no idea what Salinas CA is like...
Old 06-23-2004, 10:50 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
Yes, F1 should be at tracks like Watkins Glen, Road America, Laguna Seca, Mid-Ohio, but the problem with several of those is the lack of infrastructure and the millions upon millions that would be needed to bring the tracks up to FIA safety standards.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SanMarinoCpe
Old 06-23-2004, 02:38 PM
Former Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya, but at least we're making your olympic outfits
Old 06-24-2004, 12:22 PM

I suspect what might be driving the desire to plant two races here is the amazing lack of F1 fans here. If F1 wants a big growth spurt they need to get some more fans in the USA. I suspect you already have more F1 fans than we do.

Formula One struggling to add American fan base
by MICHAEL MAROT, Canadian Press
Wednesday, June 23, 2004

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) - Formula One is the world's giant in auto racing. In the United States, it's barely a player.

At last week's U.S. Grand Prix here, tickets were a tough sell, the stands were filled with foreign flags and even Michael Schumacher, one of the world's biggest stars, talked about his anonymity in the United States.

Part of the problem is exposure. For nearly a decade, from 1991 until the U.S. Grand Prix came to Indianapolis in 2000, F-1 didn't even hold an American race. The last U.S. driver in the series was Michael Andretti in 1993, an experiment that flopped.

But in a global economy that requires constant growth, F-1 is rethinking its approach. It is considering adding a second American race, perhaps returning to the West Coast for the first time since 1983.

There haven't been two F-1 races in the United States since 1984, and the circuit has just two races each year in North America - the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal and the U.S. Grand Prix in Indianapolis. For the first time this year, F-1 ran them on back-to-back weekends to help cut costs and improve attendance.

BMW Williams team principal Frank Williams has developed a friendship with NASCAR star Jeff Gordon, a driver he calls a "special talent" but who is unlikely to make the switch. Jacques Villeneuve, a Canadian star with American appeal, won the 1997 world championship but now is looking for a ride.

From 1950 to '60, F-1 sanctioned the Indianapolis 500 but few regulars competed. It didn't hold an actual race in the U.S. until 1959 at Sebring, Fla. Since then, F-1 has stayed longer than eight years at only one U.S. track - Watkins Glen, N.Y., where it hasn't ran from 1961 to '80.

And while Indianapolis still ranks as one of the most-watched races on the F-1 circuit, about 125,000 watched Sunday's race, attendance has declined steadily since the first US GP in 2000.

"It takes time to build events and attract people," Ecclestone said. "We need a lot more TV coverage and I think once we get those things, you'll be surprised."

Part of the problem is exposure. WTF?
They bury F1 on SPEED and all cable companies and satalite companies charge an arm and a leg to get it. I believe the lack of fans is very directly related to restricted broadcasting! Even greedy Bernie says it at the end, more TV coverage...
Old 06-27-2004, 05:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Triple-H
Old 06-27-2004, 05:53 PM

Originally posted by Mindcore
Ya, but at least we're making your olympic outfits
Hahahaha!
Old 06-28-2004, 04:28 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ITR Racer
Most of the tracks mentioned are outdated but can be updated.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:41 AM

Ok some er sent me a Minardi hat...who was it?

Oh yeah I'll let them build a track on my land, I think can handle it. Party at my place in 2010!
Old 06-28-2004, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by DoGMaN
Ok some er sent me a Minardi hat...who was it?

Well I guess I can return the one I bought at Speed Gear...

Quick Reply: US may trump Canada...